Motorcyclist in a death globe

• Thread starter shaquilleoneal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, the conversation is about a motorcyclist riding in a vertical loop, trying to maintain control and prevent falling by ensuring the normal force on the tires is greater than the combined weight of the rider and the bike. The minimum speed required for this is when n=w, which can be represented as n+w=2w in the equation Ʃfx=w+n=(mv^2/r). The 2 in front of w comes from the fact that n=w, and n+w=2w.
shaquilleoneal
1. A motorcyclist in the Globe of Death, pictured at the start of the
chapter, rides in a 2.2-m-radius vertical loop. To keep control of
the bike, the rider wants the normal force on his tires at the top of
the loop to equal or exceed his and the bike's combined weight.
What is the minimum speed al which the rider can take the loop?

2. Ʃfx=w+n=(mv^2/r)
r=2.2 n≥w

3. The question itself is not why I'm stumbling. So it says the minimum speed occurs when n=w; thus 2w=2mg=(mv^2/r)

Where does the 2 in front of the w come from? I already have the solution here, but I'm wondering why there is a 2 in front of the w? I don't get it. Once I understand where the 2 came from then I will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just figured it out. Sorry!
The minimum speed that the motorcyclist needs to be at in order to not fall straight down is when n=w. Therefore since n+w=mv^2/r, and n=w, then we can just say that n+w=2w.

1. What is a "Motorcyclist in a death globe"?

A "Motorcyclist in a death globe" is a dangerous stunt performed by skilled motorcyclists where they ride their motorcycles inside a spherical cage or globe made of metal bars. The globe is usually referred to as a "death globe" due to the high risk of injury or death involved in the stunt.

2. How is the "Motorcyclist in a death globe" performed?

The stunt involves a motorcyclist riding their bike at high speeds inside a spherical cage or globe. The globe is usually about 20-25 feet in diameter and made of metal bars. The motorcyclist must maintain their balance and control while riding along the walls of the globe, often performing stunts and tricks.

3. What safety precautions are taken for the "Motorcyclist in a death globe" stunt?

Performing the "Motorcyclist in a death globe" stunt requires extensive safety precautions. The globe is usually made of strong metal bars and is carefully inspected before each performance. The motorcyclist wears protective gear such as a helmet and body armor. There are also trained professionals stationed around the globe to assist in case of an accident.

4. What are the risks involved in the "Motorcyclist in a death globe" stunt?

The "Motorcyclist in a death globe" stunt is extremely dangerous and has a high risk of injury or death. The stunt requires a high level of skill and concentration from the motorcyclist to maintain balance and control while riding at high speeds on the curved walls of the globe. Any mistake or miscalculation can result in a serious accident.

5. Is the "Motorcyclist in a death globe" stunt legal?

The legality of the "Motorcyclist in a death globe" stunt varies depending on the location. In some places, it may be considered a form of entertainment and may be performed with proper permits and safety precautions. However, in other places, it may be considered too dangerous and may be prohibited by law. It is important for the performers to adhere to all local laws and regulations when planning to perform this stunt.