1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motored wheel

1. Dec 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A motor with wheel is attached to the end of a pole. The device is initially vertical and at rest when the motor is switch on and supplies torque τ to the axle. As the wheel begins to roll clockwise, does the top of the pole moves to the left or to the right?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am confused by this problem, because as the motor exert the torque to the wheel, doesn't the wheel exert the same torque to the motor? So if I take off the wheel and look at only the free body diagram of the rod&motor, then torque acting on it would be counter-clockwise, so the rod would move to the left. But the wheel is turning clockwise, so it should be moving to the right also (?).

How should I consider the problem?

- Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

The motor is attached to the pole. So shouldn't the pole reflect the rotational motion of the motor in producing the torque. (That action/reaction thing?)
  4. Dec 4, 2008 #3
    So the pole will fall to the left with respect to the axle, while the axle will be translating to the right?
  5. Dec 5, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

That's what it looks like to me.
  6. Dec 5, 2008 #5
    To calculate the translation acceleration at the axle, I would related the clockwise τ to α by

α = τ/I ... (1)

Then if the wheel rolls without slipping, then a = r α. In (1), what I should I be using? Is it just the moment of inertia of the wheel? Does the mass of the pole have an effect? I am thinking that since τ is given, whatever effect the mass has must be taken care of by τ, so I would be that of the wheel only.

atransx = r τ/I = 2 τ/mr

Then I use the counterclockwise τ to get the acceleration at the top of the rod by using the moment of inertial of the rod.

atangx = -r τ/I = - 3τ/m(2d) = -1.5τ/md ... (3)

Summing them up:

atopx = ( 2/r - 1.5/d ) τ/m ... (4)

This means that whether the rod fall to the left or the right depends on r and d. In particular when:

(2d - 1.5r)/(rd) > 0
    d > 0.75 r

The top of the rod would be moving forward. According to the drawing, since d is longer than r (not to mention 2 times d, which is the length of the rod), the rod will be moving to the right (while falling counter-clockwise).

Is this interpretation correct?

But now I have another question:

Suppose the rod is shorter than r, how do I know that the wheel would turn at all? How do I know that the motor is not just spinning itself about the axle, while the wheel does not move?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?