Mt. St. Helens Crater Growth: What You Need to Know | CNN 2006 Article

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, a giant rock is growing in the crater of Mount St. Helens. Hiking activities have been suspended and the mountain has been closed to the public. Keep an eye on it.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Giant rock growing in Mount St. Helens' crater
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/05/05/mountsthelens.ap/index.html [Broken]

A giant slap of rock is growing in the crater.

Hiking activities have been suspended and Mt. St. Helens has been closed to the public.

Keep an eye on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Ohhh - cool :cool:

As long as no-one gets hurt, mind :smile:

Thats pretty interesting. I wonder if it's being formed by new lava being pushed up, or faulting and compression as the dome subsides (I reckon the former is most likely). Either way that thing'll make a hell of a bang when it falls over!

matthyaouw said:
Thats pretty interesting. I wonder if it's being formed by new lava being pushed up, or faulting and compression as the dome subsides (I reckon the former is most likely). Either way that thing'll make a hell of a bang when it falls over!
I am pretty sure that it's on top of the new dome, and thermal imaging has shown high temperatures indicating lava is close to the surface. This has been build for several months now.

USGS Page with Images of Mt. St. Helens.
http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/MSH/Images/MSH04/framework.html

Last edited:
How could it happen again? Doesn't it take thoundsands of years for that kind of stuff to happen?

scott1 said:
How could it happen again? Doesn't it take thoundsands of years for that kind of stuff to happen?
Nope, as long as the magma is moveing, and pressure is building, there is a chance for another blow.

I still have a 35mm film can of ash from the last blow. Friends of ours moved out there to start a business. Not long after the blast, they let their black cat in through the patio door and the cat was grey, so they tried to shoo him back out. Then they noticed that pretty much everything outside was grey. It is a VERY dense film can of dust, and quite gritty. I'll bet lots of cars with cheap chain-store air filters started using oil pretty badly after that.

hypatia said:
Nope, as long as the magma is moveing, and pressure is building, there is a chance for another blow.
But it won't be like the last one right?

It probably isn't going to blow like in 1980. Since then it has extruded two lava domes, the first between 1980 & 1991, and the other one over the past couple of years. Its probably just another stage of the latest growth.

scott1 said:
Mount St Helens sits atop the subduction zone where the Pacific plate is pushing the small Juan de Fuca Plate under the North American Plate. Any of volcanoes could develop like St. Helens, and St. Helens could be active for a while.

http://geology.er.usgs.gov/eastern/plates.html [Broken]

Astronuc said:
Mount St Helens sits atop the subduction zone where the Pacific plate is pushing the small Juan de Fuca Plate under the North American Plate. Any of volcanoes could develop like St. Helens, and St. Helens could be active for a while.

http://geology.er.usgs.gov/eastern/plates.html [Broken]
The Cascade Mountain Range of central Oregon consists of a series of volcanic peaks. Starting with Mt Hood in the north to Crater Lake in the south. Currently there is a growing bulge near the South Sister (the highest (~10,000ft) of the three sisters. Mt Hood has also shown some potential for new volcanic activity. One or both of these 2 mountains are visible (on a clear day) to about 90% of Oregon's population. The volcanic history of this Range of mountains is NOT over with. There will be more activity in the future, how much and when is not known.

Back in 1980 shortly after Mt St. Helens big eruption, I attended a seminar at the OSU Physics dept. Given by the volcanologist studying St. Helens. I asked then if they had any idea of how long it would take for St. Helens to rebuild itself. Of course the answer was, No.

It now appears that we may see a dome peaking above the rim of the crater within the next decade or so. How cool! It is my understanding that as long as the magma is moving the internal pressure will not built up, decreasing the chances of a repeat of the 1980 explosion. So the dome building activity is good news for the local ecosystems.

scott1 said:
I guess you mean that it won't blow from the side this time, right?

Well, the northside is lower than E, S or W, so any explosion would be toward the north primarily. But as Integral pointed out, the magma is much closer to the surface (thermal imaging shows the surface is hot) so most likely, there would not be a big explosion, unless there is a lot of gas in the magma chamber.

From October 2004 - http://www.theolympian.com/home/specialsections/MountStHelens/20041004/5349.shtml [Broken]

There is not much mass left in the crater, which would cause a build up of energy.

The pinnacle looks a bit like the http://volcano.und.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/img_mt_pelee2.html [Broken]. Perhaps they're formed in the same way.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/mount_st__helens;_ylt=AuXDcaz88YZwf4oFXpnF0beaK8MA;_ylu=X3oDMTA5bGVna3NhBHNlYwNzc3JlbA-- [Broken]

SEATTLE - The sheer rock fin emerging in Mount St. Helens' crater lost about a third of its northern face recently, but because lava keeps pushing to the surface, the height remained the same Thursday — around 330 feet.

A burst of seismic activity at the mountain Sunday night likely corresponded to the collapse. "Certainly a big piece fell off — something like 65,000 cubic yards," said geologist Dan Dzurisin at the Cascades Volcano Observatory in Vancouver, Wash., about 50 miles from the mountain and 150 miles south of Seattle.

Bad weather had iced over scientists' cameras on the rim of the volcano, so the rockfall wasn't recorded on film, he said.
Activity has picked up a little at MSH.

1. What caused the eruption of Mount St. Helens again?

The eruption of Mount St. Helens in 1980 was triggered by a magnitude 5.1 earthquake that caused the north slope of the volcano to collapse. The recent eruption, which started on September 23, 2004, was caused by a new eruption vent opening up on the side of the volcano, releasing pent-up pressure from the magma chamber.

2. Is Mount St. Helens still active?

Yes, Mount St. Helens is considered an active volcano. It has erupted several times since the major eruption in 1980, including the most recent eruption in 2004. Scientists closely monitor the volcano for any signs of activity and have installed monitoring equipment to detect any changes in seismic activity or gas emissions.

3. How dangerous is it to live near Mount St. Helens?

The danger level for living near Mount St. Helens depends on the proximity to the volcano and the potential hazards that come with living near an active volcano. The areas closest to the volcano have the highest risk, but the overall danger level is considered low due to the volcano's remote location and advanced warning systems in place.

4. Is it safe to visit Mount St. Helens now?

Yes, it is safe to visit Mount St. Helens now. The volcano is constantly monitored for any signs of activity and the risk level is currently low. However, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and stay within designated areas when visiting the volcano to ensure your safety.

5. What is the current status of Mount St. Helens?

The current status of Mount St. Helens is stable. It is considered an active volcano and is closely monitored by scientists. There is no current threat of eruption, but small earthquakes and gas emissions are still occurring, indicating that the volcano is still active. It is important to continue monitoring the volcano to better understand its behavior and potential hazards in the future.