Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mount St. Helens set to erupt

1. Oct 1, 2004 #1

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6092368/

Interesting.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2004 #2

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 1, 2004 #3
    I've been hearing this, but the description I heard suggested it wasn't going to be a big, big one.

Has anyone heard any good specifics?

5. Oct 1, 2004 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hear that the information center, which is 5 mi (~ 8km) from the crater is the busiest that it has been in years.

Hummm... Let me think about this....

She's gonna blow! Let's go stand in front of it!

Me, I live a comfortable 200mi away, I think I'll watch it on TV!

Edit:From what I saw last night, the 1000' lava dome in the crater has moved 2" (5cm) in the last day or so, there is a nearly continuous Richter 3 earthquake underway. Yeah, they say it is going to be small... What is small, when it comes to volcanic eruptions?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  6. Oct 1, 2004 #5
    That's what I've heard also. That it won't be near as violent as before.

7. Oct 1, 2004 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It erupted earlier this morning, a pretty good spew of steam an ash, heading to the south west, perhaps we will get some here.

8. Oct 1, 2004 #7

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Just 55 miles away from the mountain myself and it is a bit exciting, but not devastating like the 1980 eruption.

9. Oct 1, 2004 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No kidding. And many volcanologists have either been killed or had very close calls. I listened to one guy describe his experience in which about six other scientists died. It was like something out of your worst nightmare.

10. Oct 1, 2004 #9
    Nothing very violent, I'm sure.

11. Oct 1, 2004 #10

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just a quick update. The Earthquakes, which had subsided after the burst, picked up again earlier this evening.

12. Oct 2, 2004 #11

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

as of saturday p.m.-more earthquakes and evacuations for thousands! amazing...interesting to be a part of this!

13. Oct 2, 2004 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Apparently after the second small eruption today of ash and gasses, the tremors intensified, so they're thinking it's going to be much bigger than just these burps.

Where are the closest homes in relation to the mountain? I would think after the 1980 eruption that people would not want to live quite so close to an active volcano.

14. Oct 2, 2004 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Today scientists detected volcanic tremors which indicate the flow of lava underneath the dome. There was a steam release and Hydrogen sulfide gas was detected [by nose]. A level 3 alert was issued - the highest level - which indicates that not only is an eruption is imminent, danger to life and property also exists. When asked how large of an eruption we may see, experts indicated that on a scale of 0-5, with the eruption yesterday being a 0, and the one in 1980 being a 5, we may see a 3; potentially greater. So this is getting quite serious.

15. Oct 2, 2004 #14
  16. Oct 2, 2004 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean from 1980?

17. Oct 2, 2004 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

18. Oct 2, 2004 #17
    I meant from the recent one but 1980 would be nice also

19. Oct 2, 2004 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks like you may have missed my last post. They have a nice page set up for this.

20. Oct 2, 2004 #19

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

getting serious yes, and interesting...the closest town to st helens is 30 miles away...the biggest problem i think that is a threat is the ashfall...

21. Oct 2, 2004 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember the news footage from 1980, seeing ash covering everything the way snow would. Volcanoes seemed even more exciting when I was a kid than they do now, but then I think everything did...the world seemed so much more dramatic even though it's really the same (or maybe it was the way they showed the news).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?