Mounting arm torque?

Hi there,

I'm going to install same kind of short throw projector in multiple locations, with different wall materials. Projector has integrated wall mount arm (see picture).

- How to calculate total torque affecting mounting plate top row screws?
mounting_system.jpg

Some locations have plasterboard walls. Board itself will handle this load, but mounting screws can take only 0.15kN / each for plasterboard.

Attachments

• mounting_system.jpg
    mounting_system.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 484

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hello SaiQmon, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

Load per screw 150 N probably means in the vertical direction ? so with 8 kg no problem expected in the vertical direction. But:

As you may know, torque = force ##\times## perpendicular distance, so the loads will add up to a torque of
## (2.5 * 0.32 + 5 * 0.665 ) * 9.81 = 39 ## Nm wrt the wall.

The mounting screws will have to counteract this, and if we pick the lower row as axis of rotation, that means a pulling force on the top row of ##39/0.2 = 200 ## N or 67 N on each of the three screws. Problematic for the plasterboard ? It at least deserves some attention.

Hello SaiQmon, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

Load per screw 150 N probably means in the vertical direction ?

150 N is actually pull / tension force ("Sormat OLA" board anchor + Gypsum board standard, thickness 12,5 mm), vertical forces up to 250 N.

Thanks for this, it confirmed my calculations.

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Okido. Don't go and sit on such an arm :wink: !
Not worried about cats or kids jumping on them ?

Okido. Don't go and sit on such an arm :wink: !
Not worried about cats or kids jumping on them ?

Not really, these are going to be at Tech exhibitions, most likely no cats or kids involved - I'm more considered about drunken engineers :biggrin:

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
Some locations have plasterboard walls. Board itself will handle this load, but mounting screws can take only 0.15kN / each for plasterboard.
Be careful. Unless the screws go into the wood studs behind the plasterboard, this is risky. Are you using anchor screws like this?

Self-Drilling-Drywall-Anchor-Molly-Bolt-Toggle.png_350x350.png

Attachments

• Self-Drilling-Drywall-Anchor-Molly-Bolt-Toggle.png_350x350.png
    Self-Drilling-Drywall-Anchor-Molly-Bolt-Toggle.png_350x350.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 309
Likes jrmichler and CWatters
jrmichler
Mentor
I have put screws into plasterboard. A particular screw, perfectly installed in exactly the correct size hole, may hold the rated 150 N if the load is perfectly applied. In the real world, expect an occasional failure. I would want to see screws at least 25 mm into a wood stud, or the anchor shown by @anorlunda. That goes double if you have drunken engineers in the area.