Cleaning Battery Acid from a Microsoft Wireless Mouse

In summary, the speaker is having a problem with their Microsoft wireless mouse, which they haven't used in a few months due to a lack of batteries. Upon inspecting the mouse, they noticed battery acid on one of the prongs. They are seeking advice on how to clean the acid, and are told to use a wire brush and wash their hands afterwards. The conversation also mentions the importance of not leaving dead batteries in a device for a long period of time.
mattmns
I have a microsoft wireless mouse, now most of you would think that would be the problem lol, but seriously here is the problem: I have not used this mouse in a few months, because I could not find any batteries, but today, while looking at the mouse, I noticed that there seems to be some battery acid, or something, on one of the prong(?) things that the battery rest against. How should I clean this battery acid(if that is what it is)?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You should never leave dead batteries in a device for a long period of time -- the batteries will leak. Scrape it off gently with a wire brush, like a pipe cleaner, and wash your hands when you're done.

- Warren

Cool, I even had a wire brush :smile: Thanks.

1. How do I know if my Microsoft Wireless Mouse has battery acid on it?

You may notice a white, powdery substance on the battery compartment or other parts of the mouse. This is a sign of battery acid leakage and should be cleaned immediately.

2. What should I do if my Microsoft Wireless Mouse has battery acid on it?

If you notice battery acid on your mouse, the first step is to remove the batteries and dispose of them properly. Then, clean the affected areas with a mixture of water and baking soda. Rinse and dry thoroughly before inserting new batteries.

3. Can I use any type of cleaner to remove battery acid from my Microsoft Wireless Mouse?

No, it is important to use a mild cleaner such as water and baking soda. Avoid using harsh chemicals, as they can damage the mouse and potentially cause harm to the user.

4. Is it safe to continue using my Microsoft Wireless Mouse after cleaning battery acid from it?

As long as you properly clean and dry the affected areas, it should be safe to continue using your mouse. However, if the battery acid has caused significant damage, it may be necessary to replace the mouse.

5. How can I prevent battery acid from leaking onto my Microsoft Wireless Mouse?

To prevent battery acid leakage, make sure to use high-quality batteries and replace them when they are low. Also, avoid leaving batteries in the mouse for extended periods of time, especially in hot environments. Properly disposing of old batteries can also help prevent leakage.