How can I build the most efficient mouse trap car to travel over 175 feet?

In summary, Brandon has been assigned a mouse trap car project for his high school engineering class with the goal of maximizing distance and ensuring a straight line trajectory. He has been provided with materials such as CD's, brass axles, rubber washers, Balsa wood, and a small mouse trap. He is seeking suggestions for building an efficient car that can go over 175 feet, but must use the provided materials and cannot modify the mouse trap. One suggestion is to keep the axles lubricated and sturdy, and to avoid cutting corners during assembly.
Brandonian
Hey everyone, My name is Brandon and I have been assigned a mouse trap car project for my high school engineering class.

Homework Statement

The following are the specs:
-I need it to go the maximum distance
-Must travel in a straight line
The materials supplied:
-4 ea. CD's (wheels)
-2 ea. 1/4" brass axles
-4 ea. 1/4" beveled rubber washers
-4 ea. 1/4" flast rubber washers
-4 ea. 1/4" flat steel washers
-2 ea. Balsaa wood chassis rails, 36" long max.
-1 ea. 1/8" x 3" x 12" balsa deck
-1 ea. 1/8" x 12" brass tube
-1 Small mouse trap (4.5 x 10 centimeters)
-1 Small zip tie
-Fishing line cut to any length

Homework Equations

My concern is figuring out how to build the most efficient mouse trap car to go upwards of 175 feet. In addition I am allowed to use my own materials but the ones listed above must be used. Also, the mouse trap it self can NOT be modified. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I did one when i was in SEA (Science and engineering academy) camp a few summers back. I found that if you keep the axels well lubricated and sturdy, it would be a good start. just make sure you get all of the pieces put to gether as well as you can and don't cut corners. that's the best i got, but nobody else seems to be helping

1. How does a mouse trap car work?

A mouse trap car works by using the force of a mouse trap to propel the car forward. When the trap is released, the spring snaps back, pulling a string attached to an axle, causing the wheels to turn and move the car forward.

2. What materials are needed to make a mouse trap car?

The materials needed for a mouse trap car project include a mouse trap, four wheels, an axle, string, a sturdy base, and any additional materials for decoration or customization.

3. How do you calculate the distance a mouse trap car can travel?

The distance a mouse trap car can travel depends on various factors such as the size and strength of the spring, the weight of the car, and the surface it is traveling on. To calculate the distance, you can use the formula: distance = force x distance x cosine(angle of pull).

4. What are some tips for building a successful mouse trap car?

Some tips for building a successful mouse trap car include making sure the wheels are aligned and balanced, using lightweight materials to reduce friction, and testing and adjusting the car's design before the final race.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when working on a mouse trap car project?

Yes, it is important to handle the mouse trap with caution and avoid getting fingers or other body parts caught in the spring. It is also recommended to wear safety goggles when working with tools or materials that could potentially cause injury.