1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mouse trap cars

1. Jan 11, 2005 #1
    Does anyone have any tips on how to make/build a mouse trap car, with the mouse trap being the only source of energy? I have an idea of what it should look like, and how it should work, but I'm really not sure. Is there any helpful hints that I might need while building my project for my physics exam?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The easiest way would be to use the mouse cage itself as a pair of wheels...but I don't think this is the conventional design, nor will it be very comfortable for the mouse, having to deal with irregularities of the road directly. :biggrin:

4. Jan 11, 2005 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Where's the difficulty. Just use a little cardboard trough, with a mousewheel in the center connected on either side to axles that are in turn connected to rubber wheels (that you can purchase in an R/C hobbyist shop). The axle is supported using a low friction support of some sort. The mouse faces the forward direction of the "car" (lets say that lies to the left of our view), and its running causes a counterclockwise rotation of the mousewheel that then rotates the wheels counterclockwise, driving the car forward.

So it's simple, you don't even need a system of gears to change the directions of rotation. However, if you wanted to store the mouse's energy, you'd need a more complicated contraption with a spring that gets wound up with the forward motion of the mouse, and then releases its energy when it stops. You'd have to find a way to disengage the mouse wheel before energy release happens, otherwise you'll get a car full of mouse puke. :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?