1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mousetrap powered vehilc

1. Jan 10, 2004 #1
    our physics class has built cars powered by mousetraps. Our car has small wheels in the front and big wheels at the back. (Cd's at front, records at back) It seems to work well. What is the physics behind this? I need to know for the report we have to do.

Also, we have a coat hanger which is attached to the mouse trap. Why is tis important?
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2004 #2
    I'm not exactly sure the EXACT point of physics in that project, but my best guess would be on air resistance. With a slope on your car given by the wheel size changes, the wind has a route to follow over the car and under it.

Like the wing of an airplane. The wings are in a curved form so that air can go past it easier without having as much force being pushed on them.

And you lost me with the coathanger.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?