1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mousetrap Problem

1. Jul 18, 2003 #1
    I am currently doing a physics assessment. The aim of the assessment is to lift a 10g film barrister one meter high as slow as possible. The equipments provided are:

2m of string
    A standard mousetrap
    1.5L PET Bottle + Lids
    Up to 3m of Bamboos
    Paper Clips (Use for adhesive, not for construction)
    Any types of glues.(Used for adhesive, not for construction)
    A cardboard.

So far I got everything figured out and ready to go, but I cannot find any ways to slow down the motion of the mousetrap. I was thinking of using the maleiability of the bamboos to slow down the motion of the mousetrap, but I doubt that would work. I also thought of making a spring by using the cardboard to counter the spring force of the mousetrap, but that didn't have much effect.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

The mousetrap I'm using is the 13th image on this website:

http://udel.edu/~mcdonald/mousetrap.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2003 #2
  4. Jul 18, 2003 #3
    Hi Hyperreality,
    can you make the bamboo grow?

5. Jul 18, 2003 #4
    Unfortunately no, the 3m bamboos are provided by my teacher.

6. Aug 24, 2003 #5
    Could you use one of the bamboos to extend the mousetraps swing, then the differentiated sizing of the 1.5 L bottles neck, and body, to effectively "Gear" the speed, and thereby decerease its overall speed??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?