Move a large amount of rocks from one place to another

• B
  • Thread starter Rocksolid
  • Start date
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
A big 115 degree U shape with counter weight can move the rocks fairly quickly for short distances up to 5-6ft
A counterweight won't make life much easier because you need to lift it and put the same amount of work in (or more) as lifting the original load. That 90 degree 'lever' arrangement can't help much because, when filled up with the rocks, the centre of mass needs to be lifted higher than necessary and that involves mechanical work each time. A flat plate or shallow tray / sled, dragged over a smooth surface (rails) is the easiest to implement. Wheels would need to be small diameter if you don't want to be lifting any distance. Any lifting should be done on small parts (man manageable - say 25kg) of the load. Trying to do it all at once is likely to be counter productive.
Anyway, there is no quick fix available from 'Physics' here.
I really wonder whether this thread is near enough to April 1st to be a bit suspect. I could recommend trying telekinesis. :wink:

Lol, I know this is an odd question. I work for a construction company and my boss put me on this stupid project so I was really looking for answers which you guys have provided. This was not a joke, but I can see how you may think it is. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I showed a picture of gravel because people wanted a picture of what we were trying to move. We want to build something that is 90 degrees that can hold the rocks and we want a way to figure out how to move it an easy way. Wheels on the bottom of what the rocks are sitting on is an option. Our situation is kind of like cars getting plowed in by snow trucks. They get buried....how would you move the snow? Our situation is like that but with rocks. If you can think about how to move the snow then that would probably work for us as well. I just thought there might be a cool way to use science instead of the obvious idea of using wheels or a shovel.
The device you speak of is called a "front end loader" or "end loader" for short. It is a scoop fitted to the front end of a piece of power equipment. You lower it so that it is flush with the ground and thrust it under the pile to be moved. You then lift and move a scoopload where you want it placed.

RonL
Gold Member
Lol, I know this is an odd question. I work for a construction company and my boss put me on this stupid project so I was really looking for answers which you guys have provided. This was not a joke, but I can see how you may think it is. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
I'm fast approaching 75 years of age and have worked in and around construction that involves moving dirt and gravel for several of those years, I can understand the snow example you refer to ( although I have never worked in snowy areas) but any situation that would pile gravel against cars or trucks (that can be moved) is beyond my imagination. I'm interested, but very skeptical of what you are looking for without more details of how and why you have been assigned this task. :wideeyed: :smile: