Move a pi bond into a cycloalkane

• Thread starter Phil Massie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bond Pi
In summary: Bromination would give you a brominated product that could then be eliminated by an acid. Tert-butoxide would then oxidize the bromine to the tert-butyl radical, which then can react with the other halogen to give you the product you're looking for.
Phil Massie
Hello. This is driving me a little mad, and some assistance would be hugely appreciated.

Homework Statement

Show how the following transformation can be achieved (more than one step may be involved)

Homework Equations

pf01.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

The only approach i could come up with was the following:

1. hydrohalogenation of the alkene substituent with H-Cl, putting a Cl on the more substituted C atom and an H on the less substituted C.

2. dehydrohalogenation should then produce constitutional isomers, as there are 3 [tex]\beta[/tex] carbons, 2 of which produce the same molecule (i think) and both constitutional isomers have tri substituted double bonds. the required pruduct is then one of the constitutional isomers, methylcyclohexene.

I just saw in another textbook something about endocyclic [tex]\pi[/tex] bonds being more stable than exocyclic [tex]\pi[/tex] bonds. Is this the case in this problem? and would that mean that the required product would be the only one formed?

Thanks in advance for any help. Its late and i can't think anymore...

Physics news on Phys.org
Phil Massie said:
2. dehydrohalogenation should then produce constitutional isomers, as there are 3 [tex]\beta[/tex] carbons, 2 of which produce the same molecule (i think) and both constitutional isomers have tri substituted double bonds. the required pruduct is then one of the constitutional isomers, methylcyclohexene.

I just saw in another textbook something about endocyclic [tex]\pi[/tex] bonds being more stable than exocyclic [tex]\pi[/tex] bonds. Is this the case in this problem? and would that mean that the required product would be the only one formed?

You're correct there are 3 beta hydrogens, with the possibility of two different products from an E2 reaction. I'm not sure about different stabilities of endo/exo cyclic rings, but even if the two products were equally stable and the two reaction pathways had the same activation energy, you would still get 66% the product you were looking for, because there are twice as many ways to form the product you want.

Thanks thanks thanks!
really appreciate you taking the time for this :)
I love these forums!

You wouldn't even need to hydrohalogenate/dehydrohalogenate. Look at the mechanism of the acid-catalyzed E2 elimination, first step. The product is a carbocation at the 3o carbon. Loss of H+ will give you the endocyclic isomer. Any exocyclic product would be recycled again and eventually the thermodynamic product is obtained.

Using what little I know from basic organic chemistry, I would simply 1) brominate and 2) run an E2 reaction using a sterically-encumbered base such as tert-butoxide.

1. What is a pi bond?

A pi bond is a type of covalent bond that is formed when two atomic orbitals overlap and share electrons. It is characterized by the sideways overlap of p orbitals.

2. How can a pi bond be moved into a cycloalkane?

A pi bond can be moved into a cycloalkane through a process called ring expansion. This involves breaking the bond in the cycloalkane and forming a new bond with the pi bond, resulting in a larger ring structure.

3. What is the purpose of moving a pi bond into a cycloalkane?

Moving a pi bond into a cycloalkane can allow for the creation of larger and more complex ring structures, which can have unique chemical and physical properties. It can also be used to synthesize new compounds for various applications.

4. Are there any limitations to moving a pi bond into a cycloalkane?

Yes, there are limitations to this process as it requires specific conditions and reactions to occur. It may also be limited by the availability and stability of the starting materials.

5. Can the direction of the pi bond movement be controlled?

Yes, the direction of the pi bond movement can be controlled through the choice of reagents and reaction conditions. This can result in different products being formed, allowing for further customization of the ring structure.