1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Move water molecules

1. Feb 11, 2013 #1
    Can a strong magnetic field move water molecules because it is a polar molecule. How strong does the field need to be?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Since when magnetic field interacts with stationary charges?

4. Feb 11, 2013 #3
    Water molecule has an electric dipole, so if it is possible to change its orientation in magnetic field, maybe it is possible to move it?

5. Feb 11, 2013 #4
    Have you came across this in your research of this topic?

6. Feb 11, 2013 #5
    You might be confusing magnetic field with electric field. A strong electric field and low temperature should cause the water molecules to line up. I don't know if this would form a weird solid-ish phase.

7. Feb 11, 2013 #6
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  8. Feb 11, 2013 #7

Drakkith

I don't believe the electric field has any effect on magnetic moments.

9. Feb 11, 2013 #8
    How about electric field effect on magnet, since electric field attracts or repels charges such as electrons and protons. I should say water molecules being passed through a magnetic field instead of magnetic moment.

10. Feb 11, 2013 #9

Drakkith

The magnet has a neutral electric charge, so nothing will happen. And water molecules are only very very weakly diamagnetic, and will be very slightly repelled by a magnetic field. But it takes an extremely strong magnet to even notice the effect.

11. Feb 11, 2013 #10
    You are right, the effect of an electric field on water seems to be much stronger.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  12. Feb 11, 2013 #11

Drakkith

Interesting. I would not have guessed that the water would have been attracted to the rod.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  13. Feb 12, 2013 #12
    Really? I believe the same effect is achieved with a charged balloon.

14. Feb 12, 2013 #13
    A 10 gigatesla field ... would be lethal even at a distance of 1000 km, tearing tissues due to the diamagnetism of water. At a distance halfway to the moon ... could strip information from the magnetic stripes of all credit cards on Earth.

From [en.wikipedia.org].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook