1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Movement along a curve

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    This is my first post here, and I'm not really sure where I should have made it. If it's in the wrong place, please go easy on me and could an admin move it to where it should be.

It's not strictly a homework problem, but it's fairly specific question, and not very deep or philosophical.

I have a moving object. It has an initial location (x,y), heading and speed.

I also have a destination point (x,y).

What I would like, is some way to calculate the constant acceleration and turning (ie. degrees per second) required to get the object to the destination point. I am not particularly interested in the final speed or heading.

I realize it's a pretty big ask, but if anyone could help me, or perhaps point me in the direction of some relevant articles or even other forums, then I'd really appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2008 #2

CEL

If there is no constraints, you can consider your movement to be circular uniform. So, your starting and destination points belong to a circle and the initial velocity is tangent to the circle at the starting point.
    Knowing two points and a tangent, you can calculate the radius R of the circle. The centripetal acceleration is [tex]V^2/R[/tex]

4. Nov 8, 2008 #3
    Hmmm. Good point.

There will be constraints on the maximum speed and turning rate.

I had intended to calculate the required values first, and then check if they fall within the limits after, but I see that won't work.

I guess in reality, I'm looking for the the minimum amount of turning required, and the corresponding acceleration.

5. Nov 8, 2008 #4

CEL

With constraints you will probably need to use Lagrange multipliers.

6. Nov 9, 2008 #5
    Well that's just *far* too complicated for me to be able to understand inside of the next year, so I guess I'll have to manage without :(

Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?