Movement along and off a barrel hoop

• Thread starter Bonulo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movement
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving two bricks, A and B, with different initial velocities colliding inelastically inside a barrel hoop with a smooth surface. The first part of the problem asks for the velocity of the bricks after the collision, which is determined to be v2 = v1/2. The second part discusses the possibility of the bricks reaching the top of the hoop, which is found to be impossible due to the inequality 2gR < v1^2 < 4gR. The third part involves finding the position where the bricks lose contact with the hoop, which is determined by setting the normal force equal to zero and using Newton's 2nd law and conservation of energy. The final answer
Bonulo
I want help for the final part of the solution to the following problem (it's initial situation being illustrated in http://chaos.fys.dtu.dk/fysik1/hjemmeopgave5.pdf - the diagram at "Opgave 2"):

"A small brick (B in the diagram) is at the bottom of the inside of half a barrel hoop that has a smooth surface. Another brick (A in the diagram) moves right on a smooth table with the speed 2*v1. The bricks A and B colide completely inelastically. The masses of the bricks are given in the diagram (both m/2)."

a) Determine the velocity of the bricks after the collision..

This is quite easy - the speed is v2 = v1/2 (the velocity's directed to the right hand side), since their masses are equal.

"For the initial velocity of brick A the inequality 2gR < v1^2 < 4gR is valid. R is the radius of the hoop."

b) Explain why the bricks can't make it to the top of the barrel hoop.

Here I've used the given inequality to compare with K < U(top) - which I have to show is true - where K is the kinetic energy of the bricks (seen as a particle), K = 1/2*m*(v1/2)^2, and U(top) is the potential energy they would have in the top if they could reach it. By showing that this potential energy will be greater than any kinetic energy the bricks can achieve, I hope to have solved the problem, but I'm not sure.

c) Determine where the bricks lose contact with the inside of the barrel hoop when v1^2 = 3gR. Write the position at an angle Theta, as defined in the diagram.

I'm stuck here. How do I determine what condition must exist for them to lose contact in the circular movement? Some has asserted that the problem can be solved by finding the maximum potential energy U, using that the bricks will drop immediatly (along the y-axis, vertically) upon losing contact. Some students assert that that can't be done, and want instead just to find the position using that n = 0, where n is the normal force from the hoop. If there is one at all.

There are about as many results, so far, as there are student groups, so we're many looking for the correct answer which would be muchly appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bonulo said:
b) Explain why the bricks can't make it to the top of the barrel hoop.
Here I've used the given inequality to compare with K < U(top) - which I have to show is true - where K is the kinetic energy of the bricks (seen as a particle), K = 1/2*m*(v1/2)^2, and U(top) is the potential energy they would have in the top if they could reach it. By showing that this potential energy will be greater than any kinetic energy the bricks can achieve, I hope to have solved the problem, but I'm not sure.
If the KE of the bricks at point B is less than mg(2R), then the bricks will certainly not make it to the top. (But note that just having KE = mg(2R) is insufficient for the bricks to maintain contact.)

c) Determine where the bricks lose contact with the inside of the barrel hoop when v1^2 = 3gR. Write the position at an angle Theta, as defined in the diagram.

I'm stuck here. How do I determine what condition must exist for them to lose contact in the circular movement? Some has asserted that the problem can be solved by finding the maximum potential energy U, using that the bricks will drop immediatly (along the y-axis, vertically) upon losing contact. Some students assert that that can't be done, and want instead just to find the position using that n = 0, where n is the normal force from the hoop. If there is one at all.
I'm not going to just give you the answer (:rolleyes: ) but I'll give you a big hint. As some of your fellow students have suggested, find the point where the normal force goes to zero: that's what it means to lose contact. To do that, you'll need to apply Newton's 2nd law, realizing that if the bricks are to maintain contact there must be a centripetal acceleration. You'll also need conservation of energy.

Yup. I think I've got it now, I sat with a different study group after the first one went home, and reached the following:

2 b) U1 + K1 = U2 + K2, solving for v2^2 (the final speed squared). Then ma=m*v2^2/R = mg gives another expression for v2^2. This gives v1^2 = 5gR, as the square of the needed initial speed to reach the hoop top.

2 c) Same conditions - I get Theta = 19,47 degrees.

1. What is movement along and off a barrel hoop?

Movement along and off a barrel hoop refers to the motion of an object as it travels on or off the surface of a curved barrel hoop or hoop-like structure. This type of movement is often seen in sports such as hula hooping or barrel rolling.

2. What causes movement along and off a barrel hoop?

The movement along and off a barrel hoop is caused by the combination of the object's velocity and the force of gravity. As the object moves along the curved surface of the hoop, the force of gravity pulls it towards the center, causing it to follow a circular path.

3. How does the shape of the hoop affect movement?

The shape of the hoop affects the movement along and off the surface by determining the curvature of the path the object follows. A larger hoop will have a more gradual curve, resulting in a slower movement, while a smaller hoop will have a sharper curve, resulting in a faster movement.

4. What factors can influence movement along and off a barrel hoop?

The factors that can influence movement along and off a barrel hoop include the object's velocity, the force of gravity, the shape and size of the hoop, and any external forces such as wind or friction. Additionally, the weight and distribution of mass in the object can also impact its movement.

5. How can we calculate the trajectory of an object moving along and off a barrel hoop?

The trajectory of an object moving along and off a barrel hoop can be calculated using principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the equations of circular motion. The velocity, forces, and shape of the hoop can be used to determine the path and speed of the object as it moves along and off the surface.