Is There Any Motion at Absolute Zero?

In summary, at 0 Kelvin, there is still the possibility for motion to exist due to the uncertainty principle and the concept of zero point energy. While the object itself may not have any internal movement, it can still be moved externally.
Natko
Is it possible for motion to exist at 0 Kelvin?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, absolute zero is the MINIMUM energy state for an object, not a ZERO energy state. The subatomic particles would all be in their lowest energy states, but for some that state would still entail some motion I believe. I'm sure the uncertainty principle matters here somehow.

Natko said:
Is it possible for motion to exist at 0 Kelvin?

Well, if I had an object at 0 Kelvin (strictly speaking, some non-zero temperature that is very close to zero) I could still move it around my lab... So the answer has to be yes.

If you were asking about internal movement of the particles making up the object, then Drakkith has already answered.

zero point energy.

At absolute zero, the temperature is defined as 0 Kelvin, which is equivalent to -273.15 degrees Celsius or -459.67 degrees Fahrenheit. At this temperature, the particles in a substance have minimal thermal energy and are essentially at rest. In classical physics, it is believed that at absolute zero, all motion should cease as there is no energy available to drive any movement.

However, in quantum mechanics, it is theorized that even at absolute zero, there is still a small amount of motion or "zero-point energy" present due to the uncertainty principle. This means that particles still have a minimum level of energy and exhibit some random movements. This phenomenon has been observed in experiments such as the Casimir effect.

Therefore, while it is not possible for macroscopic motion to exist at 0 Kelvin, there may still be some atomic or subatomic movements present due to quantum effects. However, these movements are extremely small and do not have any significant impact on the overall behavior of a substance at absolute zero.

1. What is movement at absolute zero?

Movement at absolute zero refers to the movement or motion of particles at the lowest possible temperature, which is 0 Kelvin (or -273.15 degrees Celsius). At this temperature, all molecular and atomic motion stops, resulting in no movement.

2. Is it possible to reach absolute zero?

It is theoretically possible to reach absolute zero, but it has never been achieved in a laboratory setting. The closest scientists have come is 0.0000001 Kelvin, achieved in 2019 by cooling a gas of sodium atoms.

3. What happens to matter at absolute zero?

At absolute zero, matter enters a state known as a Bose-Einstein condensate, where all particles lose their individual identities and behave as a single quantum entity. This state is only possible at extremely low temperatures.

4. How does movement at absolute zero relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The third law of thermodynamics states that it is impossible to reach absolute zero through a finite number of steps. This is because as a system approaches absolute zero, the amount of energy needed to lower the temperature decreases, making it increasingly difficult to reach absolute zero.

5. Can movement occur at absolute zero?

No, movement cannot occur at absolute zero as all molecular and atomic motion stops at this temperature. However, there may still be residual energy and movement due to quantum fluctuations, but this is considered negligible.