Elliot Wave Structure: Predicting Market Vibrations

• Thread starter aricho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movement
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the Elliot wave structure and its application in predicting market movements. The speaker also expresses skepticism towards technical analysis and its effectiveness in making accurate predictions. They mention a formula they have created to produce vibration levels, but question its validity. Overall, the conversation highlights the lack of reliability and scientific basis in technical analysis.
aricho
suppose the "elliot wave structure" and movement in markets is fact and causes a vibration everytime (a vibration is a change in price due to a factor, here being the range).

The elliot wave structure says that markets move in 5 waves as shown below, one up, one down ect till the top, where an ABC happens (not all the time, but suppose that for now).

sometimes you can predict a vibration by using the range and fractions of it on the way down, and you can predict a target by using 1+ the fraction.

An example of this is in the 2nd picture where the market bounces off the 1/4 retracement (3/4 of the range from the bottom, 1/4 from the top.)

We can look at trends over many different time frames. Now look at C as the low, instead of A.

Is this equation valid?

[tex]{c} = \frac{x}{y}\times{r} + {p}[/tex]

that was the first time I've ever done one of those so if it doesn't work i'll try it again.

in the equation, [tex]\frac{x}{y}[/tex] is either 1/2, 1/3, 2/3, 1/4, 3/4, 3/8, 5/8 or 7/8. As you see this would make many different prices.
r is the range between the top of wave 5 (w5) and P.
the result is added to P to give the level (price) of the vibration.

This just happened recently, where the market had a low of 3927 and a high of 4322. The range was 4322-3927=395. So a one quarter vibration is 3/4 X 385 + 3927=4223 (EXACT VIBRATION) (S&P200 aussie)

could the above formula be used to produce vibration levels? or is there a better equation?

Thanks

Attachments

• elliot 5-wave.JPG
    elliot 5-wave.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 413
  • 5-wave with range.JPG
    5-wave with range.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I quickly grew disillusioned with Technical Analysis (which includes Elliot Waves, Fibonacci series ("Fibs"), Support and Resistance Levels, EMAs, MACD, Candlestick charting, etc. etc.)

The so called pundits frequently fail to make any intelligible clear analysis of the data. And even in the event that they do make a prediction about a trend or support/resistance levels, they will always hedge their predictions by saying rubbish like "wait for the market to give a clear signal by breaking the levels or establishing a clear trend before committing yourself". This is highly unscientific. There is no testable prediction, because they're constantly second guessing themselves ! And when the market does make a clear and decisive move in a certain direction, you don't really need all this mumo jumbo anyway, the trend is self evident.

"Professional" "Ellioticians" talk about verifying Elliot wave counts. This is because they're NEVER sure about what to make of that little squiggle in a real life graph, whether it's actually a wave 1, a wave 3, a 5, or whatever.

I've come to regard the whole thing as so much snake oil. I guess charlatans and wishful thinkers abound everywhere, including the financial world.

yer i know

it is a load of rubbish most of the time, but i was just "curious" to see if the formula i made up was actally valid... what do you reckon?

1. What is Elliot Wave Structure?

Elliot Wave Structure is a technical analysis tool used to predict future market movements by identifying patterns in the price movements of financial assets. It is based on the theory that markets move in predictable waves that can be used to determine potential future price trends.

2. How does Elliot Wave Structure work?

Elliot Wave Structure is based on a series of 8 waves, with 5 impulsive waves and 3 corrective waves. These waves are labeled with numbers and letters, and follow specific rules and guidelines in terms of their size and direction. By identifying where a financial asset is within these waves, traders can make predictions about future market movements.

3. What are the limitations of Elliot Wave Structure?

One of the main limitations of Elliot Wave Structure is that it relies heavily on subjective interpretation and can be open to different interpretations by different traders. It also does not take into account external factors that may impact market movements, such as news events or economic data.

4. Can Elliot Wave Structure be used for all financial assets?

While Elliot Wave Structure can be applied to a wide range of financial assets, it is most commonly used for stocks, currencies, and commodities. It may not be as effective for assets that are influenced by factors outside of regular market movements, such as political events.

5. Is Elliot Wave Structure a reliable tool for predicting market movements?

The effectiveness of Elliot Wave Structure as a predictive tool is a subject of debate among traders and analysts. While some traders swear by its accuracy, others believe it is too subjective and unreliable. It is important to use Elliot Wave Structure in combination with other technical analysis tools and to constantly monitor and adjust predictions based on new market information.