Movement of Mass: Constant Distortion Since Universe Began

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept that any bit of mass, such as a person, object, or planet, is constantly in motion and can never truly be stationary. This is due to the fact that matter is energy and can only change form, leading to a perpetual cycle of change and re-assembly. The curvature of space-time is also mentioned, as it is constantly affected by the energy density of all mass in the universe. It is stated that there is no such thing as a fixed position in space-time, as motion can only be defined relative to something else. The idea of an object leaving a wake in space-time is dismissed, as the curvature of space-time is not a process but rather a constant presence. The conversation concludes
wetwonder
Am I right in thinking that any bit of mass, eg. me, or my spoon, or a planet, can never not be moving? And also as the matter inside me changes to something else, re-assembles later, etc, for-"ever."

So respective to that, space time is constantly distorting in it's path? From the beginning of the universe, there has been a constant distortion caused by all mass - and will be ongoing?

(Presume, moving relative to some other mass.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wetwonder said:
Am I right in thinking that any bit of mass, eg. me, or my spoon, or a planet, can never not be moving?
No.
You can always find a reference frame in which some object is stationary.

And also as the matter inside me changes to something else, re-assembles later, etc, for-"ever."
Matter is energy and energy cannot be created or destroyed - only change form.
That what you are thinking of.

So respective to that, space time is constantly distorting in it's path? From the beginning of the universe, there has been a constant distortion caused by all mass - and will be ongoing?
If you mean the curvature of space-time is related to the energy density?

Is there an example of matter that we can observe that is not making a continual/constant change of position in space time?

I guess in other words everything has a velocity, and is making a wake from distortion of space time?

Last edited:
wetwonder said:
Is there an example of matter that we can observe that is not making a continual/constant change of position in space time?
There's no such thing as a "position" in space-time, only in space, and there motion can only be defined relative to something else. I may say that I am rest on the surface of the Earth while a train moves past me at 100 km/hr, but someone on the train will, with equal justification, say that he and the train are at rest while I and the ground are moving backwards at 100 km/hr.

I guess in other words everything has a velocity, and is making a wake from distortion of space time?
There is no such thing as "leaving a wake" in space-time.

hmm-

I understand. May I restate that last comment? Is there an example of an object that we can observe that is not continually/constantly warping space time relative to another object?

"continually" and "constantly" kinda suggest a process ... the curving of space-time due to a an energy distribution is not a process so much as something that just is there.

Perhaps if you gave us some clue about the context against which you are asking these questions?
What is the idea you are wrestling with?

1. What is the "Movement of Mass"?

The "Movement of Mass" refers to the constant motion and displacement of matter in the universe since its beginning.

2. How is mass constantly distorted?

Mass is constantly distorted through the effects of gravity, which cause objects to attract and pull on each other, creating space-time distortions.

3. How does this movement of mass affect the universe?

The movement of mass has a significant impact on the structure and evolution of the universe. It determines the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets, as well as the expansion of the universe itself.

4. Is the movement of mass constant throughout the universe?

Yes, the movement of mass is a fundamental aspect of the universe that occurs everywhere, from the smallest subatomic particles to the largest celestial bodies.

5. Can we observe the movement of mass?

Yes, we can observe the movement of mass through various scientific methods, such as studying the gravitational effects on other objects or measuring the expansion of the universe.