Movement of particles in Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of particles in a magnetic field and asks for confirmation on the correct answers for two questions. The first question involves determining the path of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field, and the second question relates to using Flemming's left hand rule to determine the nature of charges. After providing a solution involving the use of equations, the expert confirms that the answers provided by the student are correct.
Suy
Movement of particles in Magnetic Field, Need help!

Homework Statement

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9773/81045485.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i need someone to confirm if this is right...
1) B
3)C<B<A
For the first one, my friend said it's A,because it bends more,
i think he is wrong...
If i am wrong, please explain it
ty! (just 1 and 3)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Path of the charged particle in a uniform magnetic field is given by
m*v^2/r = qvB
or
m*v = q*r*B.
Now try for the solution.

r=(mv)/qB, radius is proportional to the velocity,
B have the largest radius, so the speed will be the fastest

r=(mv)/qB, radius is proportional to the inverse of charge
A have the smallest radius, so the charge will the biggest,...
C<B<A
am i right?

anyone... ? I still have 2 more similar question to do, I need some one to confirm if i am right on this one

Your answers are correct.
For 2, use Flemming's left hand rule to decide the nature of the charges.

thank you so much!

1. How does a magnetic field affect the movement of particles?

A magnetic field can exert a force on charged particles, causing them to move in a circular or helical path. The direction and magnitude of the force depends on the charge and velocity of the particle, as well as the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

2. What is the difference between a positive and negative particle in a magnetic field?

A positive particle, such as a proton, will be deflected in one direction by a magnetic field, while a negative particle, such as an electron, will be deflected in the opposite direction. This is due to the fact that the force acting on the particle is perpendicular to both the velocity and the direction of the magnetic field.

3. How does the strength of a magnetic field affect particle movement?

The stronger the magnetic field, the greater the force acting on the particle and the more pronounced the deflection will be. This means that particles will move in a tighter circular or helical path when subjected to a stronger magnetic field.

4. Can a magnetic field affect the speed of particle movement?

No, a magnetic field does not directly affect the speed of particle movement. However, the force exerted by the magnetic field can cause particles to change direction and therefore alter their overall path and speed.

5. What is the role of magnetic fields in particle accelerators?

In particle accelerators, strong magnetic fields are used to control and guide charged particles, allowing them to reach higher speeds and energies. The particles are accelerated along a circular path by powerful magnets, and then released to collide with other particles for experiments.