Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Movie credits

1. Apr 16, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The end of some movie just came on and i'm thinking "..... it's 4:15.... and curb your enthusiasm is on at 4:30.... what do they do to fill the gap?". Then i realized it was credits time and thought "oh ok, this stlil won't be long". 11 minutes later the credits are still going. Did it use to be like this a decade or two again? I remember credits not lasting more then 5 minutes back in the day. What's going on here? Am i dillusional?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2006 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

no, you're stupid

4. Apr 16, 2006 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm sure it ended after 3 minutes, but the rest of it was just filler.

Executive Janitor

Bill Tan

Janitorial Coordinator

Bill Tan

Controlling Janitor Duty

Bill Tan

Scheduling Janitor

Bill Tan

Lead Janitor

Bill Tan

Studio Lead Janitor

Bill Tan

Assistant Janitor

Bill Tan

Assistant Studio Janitor

Bill Tan

Janitor #1

Bill Tan

Assistant Janitor #1

Bill Tan

Janitor #2

Bill Tan

Assistant Janitor #2

Bill Tan

Janitor #3

Bill Tan

Assistant Janitor #3

Bill Tan

Replacement Lead Janitor

Bill Tan

Replacement Studio Janitor

Bill Tan

...etc...

5. Apr 16, 2006 #4
    As long as I can remember the credits are always long. Like they play three to four songs at least. If you go to the theatre, sometimes it's fun to sit there and listen to the songs while everybody leaves, then when you leave there is not that big crowded rush.

6. Apr 16, 2006 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Rush to leave?

I've never seen that at the theatres. I've even been during some big openings and there was no crowded rush.

7. Apr 16, 2006 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I did not watch them all, but the credits for "Return of the King" lasted about 20 minutes. They managed to thank every person of their fan club by name. Did anyone stay for that?

8. Apr 16, 2006 #7
    Thread Locked.

9. Apr 16, 2006 #8
    You might have noticed that most stations now fast forward the credits at the end of movies usually also shrinking them into a corner of the screen while they play commercials at the same time. I barely even notice when credits roll for movies any more when they're played on TV.

And I did see the credits for Return of the King. That was horrendous. Fortunately I was cuddling on a couch with the girlfriend and didn't really care.

10. Apr 16, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really? That's always been my experience, that as soon as the movie is over, everyone gets up at once and heads for the door. Only a handful of people ever stay for credits. Personally, I could care less about the credits. I know some people who really do watch them all and like to know who did what, but not many. But, I often do what Mental Gridlock does, just hang out and listen to the music until the crowd thins enough to leave. No point standing in a big crowd to exit when I can wait a few minutes (unless of course I had too much soda and have to pee really badly by the time the movie ends, then I'm right in the thick of things pushing and shoving until I get to the ladies room :redface:).

11. Apr 16, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hate when they do that. Even though I don't usually watch the credits, it seems to make it entirely pointless to show them at all when they shrink them so small that you can't even read them if you want to (and, once in a while, I do want to scan for who played a particular part or what the name of some song was in the soundtrack).

12. Apr 16, 2006 #11
    I watched V for Vendetta yesterday with a friend. He decided that he wanted to know the names of the pieces V played over the loud speakers when he blew up the buildings. Ofcourse the music credits are always the very last part of the credits so I sat there waiting through the whole list of credits with him only to find out that they didn't even list those particluar pieces.

I'm sure that they wouldn't even show them if they didn't have a legal obligation to do so. I've wondered if they could actually be failing their legal obligation since they are making it nearly impossible to read the credits.

13. Apr 16, 2006 #12

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a large crowd leaving, but no one is rushing.

14. Apr 17, 2006 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Anyone stick around to see if there're any "cookies"? The last bits of film after the credits? It was popular a few years ago, but not so much anymore.

15. Apr 17, 2006 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

My idiot brother likes to stay in case there are any "cookies".
    I don't.

16. Apr 17, 2006 #15

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Do you remember Ben Hur ? "Back in the day" ? With that pretentious overlong "Overture" ? At the *start* ?!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  17. Apr 17, 2006 #16

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Speaking of cookies, they're fun when they're humorously done - I think The Naked Gun and Hot Shots did this sort of thing.

But the best after credit "cookie" came after "Dawn of the Dead" (the remake, haven't seen the original). Changed the whole ending, actually.

18. Apr 17, 2006 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Movies are so much more elaborate now than they used to be that there are necessarily a lot more people involved in making them. I'm pretty sure that each union has its own regulations regarding who has to be given a screen credit, which includes 'farmed-out' work such as model making and CGI. Might as well just display the greater Los Angeles phone book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?