Top "Heavies" of Tinseltown

• Thread starter Bystander
  • Start date
In summary: William Holden, Kirk Douglas, Gregory Peck, Spencer Tracy, Charlton Heston, Henry Fonda, James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, and Edward G. Robinson are all heavy actors.
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Movie "Heavies"

Long's we're having fun w' Tinseltown, who are your favorite "heavies?" I'm looking for the actors/actresses rather than their roles. Palance for consistently scaring the hell out of me as a child. Borgnine for gleeful menace. Lorre for deadpan, cold fish "death at the door." Davi and Drago for "Colombian necktie" ruthlessness. Elam and Dern for black hats. Brennan for "isn't he supposed to play the 'good guy'?"

Edit: Shoot! Forgot Marvin (Liberty Valance), and van Cleef. Sorry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Borgnine here too, for one. I have to think about this one.

I'm not terribly familiar with more than just the more popular of actors but I'll list a few I like.

Chrsitopher Walken
Morgan Freeman
Gene Wilder (RIP)
Patrick Stewart

Definitely Davi and Walken!

Hackman occasionally makes a great heavy as well, but has just as often been on the other side (i.e., good guy).
For pure nostalgia, no one can beat Karloff.
Dennehy made a great heavy the few times I've seen him do it.

Karloff? Hmmm. He, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Lon Chaney, Vincent Price, Bela Lugosi, and the rest of the "monster, vampire, horror film" gang definitely fit the definition of "heavy" that I put in the OP. So, too late to restrict things, and I'll nominate Tony Perkins as being right up there to give you the willies with either the pop-eyed or slyly smiling Norman Bates.

Henry Fonda played a pretty ruthless heavy in "Once Upon a Time In The West" (he even shot the kids :bugeye: )

Charles Laughton
Robert Mitchum
Edward G. Robinson
Humphrey Bogart (an authentic bad guy in many of his roles)
Rod Steiger
Sterling Hayden

Kathy Bates is a heavy actress, and IMO, a great one.

russell crowe in la confidential. he was intense, angry and didn't say much. he let his fist do the talking.

The_Professional said:
russell crowe in la confidential. he was intense, angry and didn't say much. he let his fist do the talking.
Besides, he's cute.

arildno said:
Besides, he's cute.

i wouldn't go there.

The_Professional said:
That's not a heavy. A heavy is a bad guy with no conscience. Russel Crowe was always struggling with morality, right and wrong, in that role.

Nobody beats Annie Wilkes, in whatever sort of heaviness you're talking about.

zoobyshoe said:
That's not a heavy. A heavy is a bad guy with no conscience. Russel Crowe was always struggling with morality, right and wrong, in that role.

we have diff. definitions of heavy. his character was morally ambiguous but he was heavy when he was beating people up.

Last edited:
The_Professional said:
we have diff. definitions of heavy. his character was morally ambiguous but he was heavy when he was beating people up.
It's been a while since I've see it, but as I recall all his violence boiled down to outrage about violence against women. Eventually we see he's struggling with the same impulse in himself. He's certainly not a hero, but he has too much of a conscience to be a "heavy".

Noun 1. heavy - an actor who plays villainous roles

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/heavy

Dom Deluise

1. Who are considered the "Top Heavies" of Tinseltown?

The "Top Heavies" of Tinseltown refer to the most influential and successful actors in Hollywood. Some commonly mentioned names include Tom Cruise, Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, and Meryl Streep.

2. How are the "Top Heavies" of Tinseltown determined?

The determination of the "Top Heavies" of Tinseltown is subjective and can vary depending on different factors such as box office success, critical acclaim, awards, and overall impact on the entertainment industry.

3. Are there any newcomers on the list of "Top Heavies" of Tinseltown?

Yes, there are often newcomers who make their way onto the list of "Top Heavies" of Tinseltown as they gain recognition and success in the industry. Some recent examples include actors like Timothée Chalamet and Awkwafina.

4. How do the "Top Heavies" of Tinseltown maintain their success?

The "Top Heavies" of Tinseltown often have a combination of talent, hard work, and a strong support system in the form of agents, managers, and publicists. They also continuously challenge themselves with diverse and challenging roles, and stay relevant through social media and other forms of media presence.

5. Can the "Top Heavies" of Tinseltown ever fall from their top positions?

Yes, it is possible for the "Top Heavies" of Tinseltown to experience a decline in their success. This can be due to various factors such as lack of good roles, personal issues, or simply the ever-changing nature of the entertainment industry. However, many of the top actors have managed to maintain their success for decades.

Back