Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Movie madness

1. Oct 26, 2015 #1
    Ok, I got an experimental idea for a game. I'm gonna post a picture from a movie and the first person that guesses it can then post a new picture. Pretty inventive, huh? Oh, and the rules are you can't upload the picture to that google image recognition thing (of course). Be honest. Name the character and the movie. If you can't remember the character name then the real name of the actor will suffice. Give this image a go:

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/6710/alteredstates2011010500.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2015 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Seen the movie but never would have guessed it in a zillion years. Maybe because I haven't seen it in a zillion years.

4. Oct 31, 2015 #3
    Well, that's because it came out a zillion years ago. It's Blair Brown in "Altered states" circa early 80's. So, even though you didn't guess it, I'll give you the conch, Dave, especially since no one else seems to be playing anyway...:oldshy:

5. Oct 31, 2015 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

6. Oct 31, 2015 #5
    Wow, that's a good one. I know the actor, but I don't think I'll ever guess the movie. Maybe I set the standards to high in this thread?

7. Oct 31, 2015 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Hint: same decade, still sci-fi genre. A cult classic.
    Classic line "Why is there a watermelon in that 80 ton press?"

And if you haven't seen it, you should.

8. Oct 31, 2015 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Jeff Goldblum but I forget the movie

EDIT: OK, I know what it is now. Can't even remember if I saw it, but since I love Jeff G. I probably did.

9. Nov 1, 2015 #8
    I got it, "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension"

That was good one, especially because there was a "red herring" involved. Nashville (1975). I was just about to post that answer but wanted to double check and make sure I found the image that you posted. I couldn't find it. So I kept at it and found Buckaroo.

Here's the image I found from Nashville that almost caused me to post the wrong answer:

jeff%2Bgoldblum%2Bnashville%2B1975%2Beyewear.png

Yeah, my conclusion is that the rules are too hard. So the revised rules is that the only thing you can't do is upload the image to google images (or equivalent). Anything else is fair game. So in this case, I took the fact that I knew it was Jeff Goldblum, and then I typed his name into google along with "white scarf" and "cowboy hat." And even after that I almost got it wrong because Buckaroo didn't show up, only Nashville.

So if you're presented with an image whereby you don't even recognize the character, you're going to be in big trouble. Therefore, google searching is OK to use through using clues in the image. So I'm gonna try and be clever with my next image not to give away too many clues. But at the same time you should include enough clues not to make it impossible...

Ok, here's an easy one:
    1118_0_screenshot.png

10. Nov 1, 2015 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I want to say that's Steve Railsback, and therefore the film is Life Force.

[EDIT] Nope. Way off. Never saw the one to which this clue is referring.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  11. Nov 1, 2015 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's one of the 2001 series

12. Nov 1, 2015 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It would seem not.

13. Nov 1, 2015 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'll be darned.

14. Nov 1, 2015 #13
    Nope. I'll give you guys a big hint: Helium 3

15. Nov 1, 2015 #14

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

16. Nov 1, 2015 #15
    Bingo, you're up, Astronuc.

17. Nov 1, 2015 #16

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Surprise visitor.png
    An unexpected visitor

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook