1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Movie Physics

1. Jul 30, 2006 #1
    Hello, I am a new user and in Dire need of some help. I am currently entering my senior year of High School. I am enrolled in an Honors Introductory Physics course, and for our summer assignment, are required to analyze a movie, determine four scenes of the movie, and explain the physics of the scene, explain the concepts of the physics, and the mathematical equations of the scene, and also determine whether these are good or bad applications of physics. I was assigned the movie Top Gun starring Tom Cruise, if someone can help me, It would be greatly appreciative.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2006 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since everything that happens IS physics, pick your four favorite action sequences. Pick one right now, for example, and maybe we can talk you through it.

4. Aug 2, 2006 #3
    One good one is the landings the planes make on the carrier.

5. Aug 2, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well at least they gave you a fun movie! Fighter jets, carriers, sportbikes -- what more could you ask for!

As Chi said, pick some of your favorite scenes and start listing things that you think primarily involve physics. Like, the grey-out that TomC fights off in one of the first dogfights is more of a biological effect, even though it all comes back to physics. But the flight and wire trap landings (as civil dude says) and the cat shots off the carrier are great fodder for physics. BTW, fun quiz question -- how does the shuttle let go of the plane's front landing gear at the end of the cat shot? That one had me confused for a good long time!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?