Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Movie Physics

1. Aug 14, 2004 #1
    I found a brilliant site that picks out the bad physics portrayed in many movies. It even has ratings like, GP (good physics), XP (physics from an unknown universe), ...

http://www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/

Enjoy!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2004 #2
    Although I have not read all of it, i found it funny. Cheers for that. Bright lights from bullets, I thought something was up. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

4. Aug 14, 2004 #3
    Yeah and quite nice how they went into the effort of doing all the maths to proove it too! :smile:

5. Aug 14, 2004 #4
    Thats the reason why most films are non-fiction, stop picking holes in them and enjoy them.

6. Aug 14, 2004 #5
    My favourite: Unobtanium! :D

7. Aug 14, 2004 #6
    Maybe you could still enjoy them and later deal with the physics of it and learn something useful! :wink:

8. Aug 14, 2004 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

When Gandalf plummeted down the abyss in Moria at the beginning of TT, I was disgusted by the bad physics there.
    Seemingly, a wizard in flowing robes experience a greater acceleration of gravity (or less air resistance?) than a sword!!
    Possibly, terminal velocities are reached faster in Middle-Earth, and thus, being more massive, Gandalf is able to overtake his sword.

However, even though the Balrog's wings seemed largely ineffectual, they're still huge, creating a lot of air resistance, and the sword ought to have passed beyond the
    balrog prior to Gandalf overtaking it.

There does, of course, exist the slim possibilty of Gandalf being able to manipulate the local gravitational fields a bit (him being a wizard and all), but if that were the case, PJ
    really should have shown him chanting as he fell..(or perhaps not :biggrin:)

9. Aug 14, 2004 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, he was chanting - didn't you notice :wink:. What's the matter with you; applying 'normal' physics to wizards ? You've got to use Wizics ! :biggrin:

10. Aug 14, 2004 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

He was?? Damn, I have to see that film again..

11. Aug 16, 2004 #10
    i would really like to see an action movie where not only do they apply good physics but also justification for shooting off all the machine guns. i just saw alien vs. predator and couldn’t get over bringing assault rifles to an archeological expedition in Antarctica. and what’s with everyone getting airtime after being punched/kicked and not getting disgustingly wounded lately?

12. Aug 16, 2004 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow...you actually saw AVP ? Boy, you must have an appetite for torture. :biggrin:

13. Aug 16, 2004 #12

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I got dragged to see AVP by a friend of mine.

Oh, it was awful.

I have no problem with making up imaginary physics/science for movies, so long as it's set in a fantasy environment (Star Wars or LoTR, for example). What bothers me to no end is when they make up history or science and it's a (supposed) scientist relaying the garbage in the film.

Whenever one of the characters is a scientist, I know I'm going to hate the film.

14. Aug 16, 2004 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Interesting site. :smile:

I liked the article about the cigarettes and gasoline. Struck a special place with me since I replaced a Jeep's fuel pump for the first time this summer.

When you've assembled all the pump's wiring back together and insert the entire contraption back into a gasoline filled confined space and think how in just a few minutes (well, no more than a few hours, even for the home mechanic), you're going to turn the key in the ignition and send electricity through those very same wires while they're immersed in gasoline and ...... Um, maybe I want to check that wiring just one more time, just in case.

One of those things I just never realized - and I'll never start my car with the quite the same confidence, again.

15. Aug 16, 2004 #14
    Ummm, isn't it obvious that Gandalf used his super wizard magic to make himself fall faster? Duh! :tongue2:

16. Aug 16, 2004 #15

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I DID make allowance for that fact!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?