Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Movie Trivia

1. Jul 1, 2013 #1
    I haven't seen a movie trivia thread in here. So I'll give this a go. The rules are: if you answer the current question correctly you get to ask the next one. Simple, huh? Only one question at a time, please. If no one correctly answers a current question within 24 hours of the posted question, then the floor is once again open to a new question. We'll see how it goes. Me first

Oh, and, most importantly....NO GOOGLING. You can look it up through print media or the microfiche at the library if you wish, that's allowed :smile:

Q: In an academy award winning black and white film, a certain gentleman goes to a bar called "Harry and Joes: Where good liquor flows" and get's into all sorts of mayhem. What's the movie?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

the lost weekend directed by billy wilder and starring ray milland and jane wyman 1945

What BW movie of the same year features a castle, a curse, a whirlpool and two lovers who dont know where they're going?

4. Jul 2, 2013 #3
    'I Know Where I'm Going!' with Wendy Hiller

Q: Montgomery Clift as a reluctant boxer. No googling.

5. Jul 3, 2013 #4
    OK, time's up people, the answer is.....

A: "From here to eternity," which also features Frank Sinatra a Maggio, a role he won the academy award for (best supporting actor). I can't believe you guys didn't get that one. Floor's open.

6. Jul 3, 2013 #5

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

O.K., then, I'll jump in with this:

Q:Ninja Elvis defeats Soviet army.

7. Jul 3, 2013 #6

jedishrfu

That would be the Six String Samurai.

A lightning strike, a flash of insight and chunk of metal comes to life.

8. Jul 4, 2013 #7
    Thor?

9. Jul 4, 2013 #8

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Short circuit?

10. Jul 4, 2013 #9

jedishrfu

Bandersnatch got it. Lightning strike the bot, and the bot says "Johnny Five's Alive" his flash of insight...

Its your turn for a movie clue.

11. Jul 4, 2013 #10

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here you go:

This film teaches to be wary of janitorial jobs in post-apocalyptic France.

12. Jul 4, 2013 #11

jedishrfu

Would that be Delicatessen?

13. Jul 5, 2013 #12

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's right, jedishrfu!

Delicatessen is a 1990 dystopian-oddball-feelgood comedy about cannibals. Dominique Pinon plays a janitor hired by a local butcher, whose business thrives despite shortage of animal meat.
    The film was made by Jeunet & Caro, whose unmistakeable visual style was later fully realised in The City of Lost Children, and to a lesser extent could be seen in Jeunet's own projects(e.g.,Amélie, A Very Long Engagement).

Anyway, jedishrfu's turn.

14. Jul 5, 2013 #13

jedishrfu

okay here goes:

A scientist of the future invokes a creature from the past because of love in the present and the mind within creating a tempest of a movie.

15. Jul 5, 2013 #14

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmm, this kinda sorta sounds like Aronofsky's The Fountain. Could it be it?

16. Jul 5, 2013 #15

jedishrfu

It's a famous scifi flick of the fifties.

17. Jul 5, 2013 #16

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've found the film through the magic of internets, so the rules of the thread forbid me from solving the riddle. I just wanted to compliment the wording of the question - it's multifaceted and exhaustive.

18. Jul 5, 2013 #17
    New rules. I'ts OK to google the answer. The only catch is that you have to state that in your answer......SHAME! But that's the new rule. You're on your honor. Obviously, it's much better to guess it without googling, you can state that too. That gets you more brownie points.

Sample:

I googled :frown:

or

I didn't google :biggrin:

Be honest!

19. Jul 5, 2013 #18

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Somebody save me from my shame by guessing the title without googling! I could not bear the taint on my honour!

20. Jul 5, 2013 #19
    Too late, Bandersnatch :devil: Your turn. Make it a good one.

21. Jul 5, 2013 #20

jedishrfu

Why not take honesty out of the picture and allow anything goes in discovering the title? I like coming up with clever clues.

The movie was Forbidden Planet which was based on Shakespeare's The Tempest. You could show how you searched it and in that way improve others searching strategies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook