Are there any science-based movies that don't involve sci-fi?

In summary, In Infinity, Richard Feynman is the main character and the movie follows his life from childhood to Nobel Prize-winning physicist. Although it is not strictly focused on physics, it is still a good movie. October Sky, which is also on this list, follows the life of a scientist from childhood to their achievements. It is a great movie and definitely worth watching.
arevolutionist
What are some movies with a storyline based on scientists? I know some related to computer science, though I am seeking more of a physics based movie. Also, I am not seeking sci-fi. The closest movie to what I am seeking is October Sky.

Physics news on Phys.org
A physics based movie ? Pfff, i do not think that exists. If it did, it must be very boring. I do know some great biochemistry based movies like "Hooters from Schmooters" and "Geile SS Weiben"...GREAT STUFF

marlon

marlon said:
A physics based movie ? Pfff, i do not think that exists. If it did, it must be very boring. I do know some great biochemistry based movies like "Hooters from Schmooters" and "Geile SS Weiben"...GREAT STUFF

marlon

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

or this (someone here argued that this one is about mad man, not a scientist)?

whatta said:
or this (someone here argued that this one is about mad man, not a scientist)?

Err did you actually see that movie ? I did and i can assure you that it is not a physics based movie. Nor is a beautiful mind but both of them are great movies indeed.

marlon

original post said "scientists". aren't mathematicians scientists?

Jeremy Piven did a movie a while back. I vaguely remember seeing this. He plays a research physicist. It's a lot of drama (I think he gets caught up in an affair or something like that), but I do remember him getting lambasted by a prof for giving a presentation on the duality of light that any 9th grader could give. It didn't get rated very well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116160/

whatta said:
original post said "scientists". aren't mathematicians scientists?

Read the original post man. The OP is looking for physics based movies, not mathematician's based movies.

Hiw own words in post 1 : "though I am seeking more of a physics based movie"

marlon

oh, marlon, marlon... here.

I own the movies Pi and A Beautiful Mind.

Read the original post man. The OP is looking for physics based movies, not mathematician's based movies.

Hiw own words in post 1 : "though I am seeking more of a physics based movie"

marlon

True. I am seeking physics based movies. Though, if someone recommends a good movie about a mathematician, I shall watch it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116635/
Infinity (1996)
Story of the early life of genius and Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman.

I heard of this movie. The video rental stores seem to not carry it. (Though they suck at spelling. They could not find "Rabbit Proof Fence" in their DB, even though I found it on the shelve. It takes about four visits to find someone that can spell.) Also, I heard it was poorly done. Is this true?

Hey, thanks for that pointer on Infinity! I'll definitely rent it.

What about the movie "The Race for the Double Helix" ? That was pretty good. Not totally physics-centric, but definitely a good view into high-level science work on an incredibly important subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Story

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0132477/" is a good movie based on life movie about a boys facination with rockets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like October Sky. It's in my top 10 for sure. I'm not so sure it focuses heavily on the science. It focuses more on kids getting a chance to study it though. Nothing beats the end of that movie.

What are some popular movies focused on science?

Some popular movies focused on science include "The Martian", "Interstellar", "Gravity", "Jurassic Park", and "Apollo 13". These movies explore various scientific concepts such as space exploration, genetics, and physics.

How accurate are these movies in terms of portraying science?

The accuracy of these movies in terms of portraying science varies. Some movies, like "Apollo 13" and "Gravity", have been praised for their attention to scientific detail, while others, like "Jurassic Park", have taken creative liberties for the sake of entertainment. It is important to remember that these movies are works of fiction and should not be taken as completely accurate representations of science.

What impact do these movies have on the public's understanding of science?

Movies focused on science can have a significant impact on the public's understanding of science. They have the ability to spark interest and curiosity in scientific concepts, as well as educate viewers on real-world issues and advancements in science. However, it is also important for viewers to critically analyze the information presented in these movies and not take everything at face value.

Are there any common themes or messages in movies focused on science?

One common theme in movies focused on science is the idea of humans pushing the boundaries of what is possible through scientific exploration and discovery. These movies often depict scientists and researchers as heroes who overcome obstacles and make groundbreaking discoveries. Another common message is the potential consequences and ethical considerations of scientific advancements.

What makes a good movie focused on science?

A good movie focused on science should have a balance of entertainment and accuracy. It should also have well-developed characters and a compelling storyline. The use of visual effects and technology can also enhance the viewing experience. Additionally, a good movie focused on science should also spark curiosity and encourage viewers to learn more about the scientific concepts presented in the film.