Movies focused on science

What are some movies with a storyline based on scientists? I know some related to computer science, though I am seeking more of a physics based movie. Also, I am not seeking sci-fi. The closest movie to what I am seeking is October Sky.

Answers and Replies

A physics based movie ??? Pfff, i do not think that exists. If it did, it must be very boring. I do know some great biochemistry based movies like "Hooters from Schmooters" and "Geile SS Weiben"...GREAT STUFF

marlon

radou
Homework Helper
A physics based movie ??? Pfff, i do not think that exists. If it did, it must be very boring. I do know some great biochemistry based movies like "Hooters from Schmooters" and "Geile SS Weiben"...GREAT STUFF

marlon

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

or this (someone here argued that this one is about mad man, not a scientist)?

or this (someone here argued that this one is about mad man, not a scientist)?

Err did you actually see that movie ? I did and i can assure you that it is not a physics based movie. Nor is a beautiful mind but both of them are great movies indeed.

marlon

original post said "scientists". aren't mathematicians scientists?

FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Jeremy Piven did a movie a while back. I vaguely remember seeing this. He plays a research physicist. It's a lot of drama (I think he gets caught up in an affair or something like that), but I do remember him getting lambasted by a prof for giving a presentation on the duality of light that any 9th grader could give. It didn't get rated very well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116160/

original post said "scientists". aren't mathematicians scientists?

Read the original post man. The OP is looking for physics based movies, not mathematician's based movies.

Hiw own words in post 1 : "though I am seeking more of a physics based movie"

marlon

oh, marlon, marlon... here.

I own the movies Pi and A Beautiful Mind.

Read the original post man. The OP is looking for physics based movies, not mathematician's based movies.

Hiw own words in post 1 : "though I am seeking more of a physics based movie"

marlon

True. I am seeking physics based movies. Though, if someone recommends a good movie about a mathematician, I shall watch it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116635/
Infinity (1996)
Story of the early life of genius and Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman.

I heard of this movie. The video rental stores seem to not carry it. (Though they suck at spelling. They could not find "Rabbit Proof Fence" in their DB, even though I found it on the shelve. It takes about four visits to find someone that can spell.) Also, I heard it was poorly done. Is this true?

berkeman
Mentor
Hey, thanks for that pointer on Infinity! I'll definitely rent it.

What about the movie "The Race for the Double Helix" ? That was pretty good. Not totally physics-centric, but definitely a good view into high-level science work on an incredibly important subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Story

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0132477/" [Broken] is a good movie based on life movie about a boys facination with rockets.

Last edited by a moderator:
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
I really like October Sky. It's in my top 10 for sure. I'm not so sure it focuses heavily on the science. It focuses more on kids getting a chance to study it though. Nothing beats the end of that movie.