Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Movies focused on science

1. Mar 29, 2007 #1
    What are some movies with a storyline based on scientists? I know some related to computer science, though I am seeking more of a physics based movie. Also, I am not seeking sci-fi. The closest movie to what I am seeking is October Sky.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2007 #2
    A physics based movie ??? Pfff, i do not think that exists. If it did, it must be very boring. I do know some great biochemistry based movies like "Hooters from Schmooters" and "Geile SS Weiben"...GREAT STUFF

marlon

4. Mar 29, 2007 #3

radou

Homework Helper

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5. Mar 29, 2007 #4
  6. Mar 29, 2007 #5
    or this (someone here argued that this one is about mad man, not a scientist)?

7. Mar 29, 2007 #6
    Err did you actually see that movie ? I did and i can assure you that it is not a physics based movie. Nor is a beautiful mind but both of them are great movies indeed.

marlon

8. Mar 29, 2007 #7
    original post said "scientists". aren't mathematicians scientists?

9. Mar 29, 2007 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Jeremy Piven did a movie a while back. I vaguely remember seeing this. He plays a research physicist. It's a lot of drama (I think he gets caught up in an affair or something like that), but I do remember him getting lambasted by a prof for giving a presentation on the duality of light that any 9th grader could give. It didn't get rated very well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116160/

10. Mar 29, 2007 #9
    Read the original post man. The OP is looking for physics based movies, not mathematician's based movies.

Hiw own words in post 1 : "though I am seeking more of a physics based movie"

marlon

11. Mar 29, 2007 #10

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

12. Mar 29, 2007 #11
    oh, marlon, marlon... here.

13. Mar 29, 2007 #12

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

14. Mar 29, 2007 #13
    I own the movies Pi and A Beautiful Mind.

True. I am seeking physics based movies. Though, if someone recommends a good movie about a mathematician, I shall watch it.

I heard of this movie. The video rental stores seem to not carry it. (Though they suck at spelling. They could not find "Rabbit Proof Fence" in their DB, even though I found it on the shelve. It takes about four visits to find someone that can spell.) Also, I heard it was poorly done. Is this true?

15. Mar 29, 2007 #14

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Hey, thanks for that pointer on Infinity! I'll definitely rent it.

What about the movie "The Race for the Double Helix" ? That was pretty good. Not totally physics-centric, but definitely a good view into high-level science work on an incredibly important subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Story

16. Mar 29, 2007 #15

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

October Sky is a good movie based on life movie about a boys facination with rockets.

17. Mar 29, 2007 #16

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I really like October Sky. It's in my top 10 for sure. I'm not so sure it focuses heavily on the science. It focuses more on kids getting a chance to study it though. Nothing beats the end of that movie.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?