What movies have brought you to tears?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary, various people discuss movies that have made them cry, including Snoopy Come Home, Bambi, The Lion King, Dumbo, Firestarter, The Green Mile, Braveheart, 2001, A Beautiful Mind, Donnie Darko, Lady and the Tramp, Lorenzo's Oil, A Way Home, E.T., What Dreams May Come, Mr. Holland's Opus, A Walk to Remember, Titanic, Cast Away, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Once Were Warriors, Godzilla, Music Man, Rob Roy, Sergeant York, Saving Private Ryan, Leap of Faith, Little Mermaid, The Reluctant Astronaut, Amadeus, and A Christmas Story.
eNtRopY
[SOLVED] Movies That Made You Cry

Have you ever been so emotionally moved by watching a movie that you actually cried?

I remember when I was five years old, I was watching the movie Snoopy Come Home, and it made me so sad when I thought that Charlie Brown would never see Snoopy again, that I left the room crying. Finally, my parents convinced me to come back and see the end.

eNtRopY

Physics news on Phys.org
There have been two; Steven King's Firestarter and Walt Disney's Dumbo.

I was alrite with dumbo(favourite film of all time) but the one that got me was bambi where he is walking through the forest looking for his mother.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
Green Mile and Braveheart

You see, PFs rule. Do you think anyone else has got this kind of dirt on their administrator?

Just kiddin' .

The Lion King.

The music was perfect and the part when Mufasa appeared in the clouds was heart-wrenching.

This was also the first movie i ever saw in a cinema and it is my all-time favourite movie.

Kaku says he cried when he first studied the equations from GR [or maybe QFT but you get the idea].

Last edited:
hmmm, i don't ever actually start sobbing in movies, but the closest have been is a beautiful mind anddonnie darko. the latter is the best movie I've ever seen and always gets me emotional, even after seeing it like 5 times!

I can't remeber crying, but I rember laughing out loud when they put down that dog in Lady and the Tramp.

Originally posted by jdsc
I can't remeber crying, but I rember laughing out loud when they put down that dog in Lady and the Tramp.

How sad are you. Nobody except a completely deranged **** would laugh at that!

Really a lot of good movies have gotten to me; but has anyone seen Lorenzo's Oil? I had to leave the house. For some reason this movie got to me so badly that I literally couldn't watch the whole thing. I did watch the end though. That was a first.

A Korean Movie

http://www.paramountclassics.com/wayhome/story.html. I watched this movie in January this year.

Well, I didn't actually cry, but close. At the end of the movie(the last 3 paragraphs of the above link), I dared not watching the screen directly and forced myself to think of something else! I think my character is pretty much like the boy in the movie. A movie is exceptionally touching if the storyline is somehow similar to your personal experience.

I don't think I've ever sobbed like a baby, (except when I was 7- E.T. leaving to go home. so sad) You young people need to watch it. A classic.

Some were tear jerkers though

That robin williams movie where his whole family dies and his wife commits sucide. I think it's called What dreams may come.

Braveheart was sad-"frreedom!" as was Ransom-Gibson really pulls the drama off well.

Mr Holland's Opus-Ok, maybe that one's just me:wink:

A walk to remember was a great movie, probably because it had a personal connection as kl kam said

Titanic, but the music could be the reason for that.
I'll say... "Cast away" by Tom Hanks.

The Lion King and Alvin and the Chipmunks (I'm positive there was some sort of movie, maybe not in theatres)

Well, like some others, they were just tears. I assure you, there was absolutely no bawling... Well, not much.

*Slightly off-topic* On reading the topic, I was expecting to be asked what movies I laughed so hard at that I cried out of laughter... That's just me I guess...

alvin and the chipmunks had a christmas special, and later they had a few straight to video tv movies with various themes. I was a chipmunk fan

Once Were Warriors, it nearly made me cry.

Movies that made me cry, there is only one that really made me sob in the movie theater, I was so emotionally involved.. it was quite embarrassing..

I went to this independent movie, I don't even remember the title But it was about this czech? girl who was adopted by an american family during the world war when she was still a small kid. She didn't get along with her family and as a teenager she went back to her home country in search of her family. The girl actually wrote the film for her family, to tell them she was sorry for the way she had behaved.

Somehow I could really identify with this girl, the relationship with her parents, how she ran away to another country, even the dialoges could have been mine. So I (and the rest of the theater to btw) was just pretty much crying throughout the whole movie..

I wish I remembered the name of the movie.. it was something like 'american life', or am I confused with madonna's song?

I cried when I saw Godzilla, when I realized that I'd just paid the price of a cinema ticket to that ****e.

God, that was an awful movie.

I get so emotionally involved in most movies that the list of those that don't make me cry (tear up, no bawling) is shorter.

Here are but a few that get to me and the specific parts:

Music Man, "I always think there's a band kid." and "Thister, thister did you ever thee thuch a beautiful tholid gold thing before, oh thister."

Rob Roy, The bravery of Rob Roy's wife after she is raped by the villian.

Sargent York, when they show him the house that his home state gave him for being a hero in the war.

Saving Private Ryan, when he asks if he was a good man.

Leap of Faith, when it begins to rain.

Little Mermaid, when Titan gives his daughter legs.

The Reluctant Astronaut, where Don Knots remembers his Carnival ride speal and brings in the space capsule after the computer control fails. (I told you I get emotional easily, but today is Don knots birthday, so I had to mention this one.)

Amadeus, where Solierey (sp?) tells the priest in the first few minutes of the film, "That, was Mozart."

Good Will Hunting, when Robin Williams gets past the genius to help the troubled boy inside become a man.

Awakenings, when the medicine first starts to work.

Good Morning Vietnam, when the jeep driver tells a truck load of GIs that he has Adrian Chronaur with him and Adrain reluctantly at first talks to the men.

This was just a small fraction of the movies that get to me.

Originally posted by jcsd
I cried when I saw Godzilla, when I realized that I'd just paid the price of a cinema ticket to that ****e.

God, that was an awful movie.

Haha... I felt the same way after seeing Austin Powers III.

eNtRopY

The green mile came close.

I cried at the end of Braveheart, mostly just knowing they ripped Wallaces package off. That should bring tears to any man's eyes.

But seriously, a movie called After Rangoon got to me the other day. Really makes you think about how good you got it, even though everything is falling down around you, compared to people unfortunately born in a country controlled by tyranny.

I cried on the last episode of Beavis and Butthead, cos I knew that after this, good cartoons were dead.

Pay it Forward Very good movie made me sob...

Side note about the Lion King: It was copied from a Japanese Cartoon/Comic called something very near "Kimba, the White Lion". Kimba's mom and dad live, though.

Originally posted by GlamGein
Side note about the Lion King: It was copied from a Japanese Cartoon/Comic called something very near "Kimba, the White Lion". Kimba's mom and dad live, though.
THats probably the only disney movie where they make it sadder than the original.

Yes, The Green Mile came close for me too..

Green Mile gave me a good feeling, but I liked Shawshank Redemption better.

When I saw my sister cry, and I could not, when I was younger I thought why not? And tried it too, alhough I've found it a little hard to stop :D . Anyways I've never cried as much as the end of The Mission with Robert de Niro and Irons. But apart from that I tend to cry during a lot of movies

Oh, and some of the bollywood movies too..

Originally posted by Artman
I get so emotionally involved in most movies that the list of those that don't make me cry (tear up, no bawling) is shorter.
Me, too. A good Hallmark commercial can take me down hard.

I'm surprised no one listed the Champ. How unemotional are you people (for lack of a better word)? Doesn't seeing little Ricky Schroeder say dad wake up, dad wake up, dad wake about fifty times in row until he realizes that his father is dead bring tears to your eyes?

eNtRopY

I believe the closest I ever got was The Priest I believe its a foreign film, but it is in English.

The scene in The Two Towers where the Gandalf is leading the army down the hill to relieve Helm's Deep always gives me the chills.

IT'S a wonderfull life
thats the oldie

and pay it forward
was the latest one

At Play in the Fields of the Lord - an amazing little sleeper with John Lithgow, Daryl Hannah and Tom Barringer

The scene in The Two Towers where the Gandalf is leading the army down the hill to relieve Helm's Deep always gives me the chills.

And the part when Treebeard led the Ents into battle, saying "the last march of the Ents"(if i remembered his exact words correctly). That gave me the chills too.