Moving Charges to Infinity: Work Required and Comparison

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of work required to move different charges to infinity, using the equation W= kq1q2/r. It is noted that the sign of the charges must be taken into account, as opposite charges attract while same charges repel. The correct answer for (a) is .61749 J, and for (b) it is -.3999 J. There is some confusion with the calculation for (c), as it yields an incorrect answer of 1.247.
aoc0708

Homework Statement

The figure below shows three charges at the corners of a rectangle of length x = 0.35 m and height y = 0.22 m.

http://www.webassign.net/walker/20-23alt.gif (rectangle image)

(a) How much work must be done to move the +2.7 µC charge to infinity?

(b) Suppose, instead, that we move the -6.1 µC charge to infinity. Is the work required in this case greater than, less than, or the same as when we moved the +2.7 µC charge to infinity?

Explain.

(c) Calculate the work needed to move the -6.1 µC charge to infinity?

Homework Equations

W= kq1q2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the correct answer for (a) like this:

W= (9e9)(2.7e-6)(6.1e-6)/.35 + (9e9)(2.7e-6)(3.3e-6)/.4134, with .4134 as the distance between the -3.3 charge and the 2.7 charge via the pythagorean theorem.
.61749 J, was correct; and I guessed that it would take less work to move the -6.1 µC charge for (b). But I'm not entirely sure why this is the case-- is it simply because the distances between the charges are smaller? And for some reason, when I use the same method on (c) as I did on (a), I'm wrong:

(9e9)(6.1e-6)(2.7e-6)/.35 + (9e9)(6.1e-6)(3.3e-6)/.22 yields 1.247, which is not the correct answer. Why is this?

Thank you!

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me like you need to take into account the sign of the charges. Remember opposite charges attract while same charges repel. The -6.1 uC charge is easier to move to infinity because it sees 1 positive charge attracting it, but also 1 negative charge repelling it.

Ah, I see what you mean. Thank you! The correct answer was -.3999 Joules.

1. How do you move a charge to infinity?

In theory, a charge can be moved to infinity by continuously increasing the distance between the charge and any other nearby charges. This would require an infinite amount of energy, and is not possible to achieve in reality.

2. What happens to a charge when it is moved to infinity?

When a charge is moved to infinity, it is said to be "isolated" or "free" from any other nearby charges. This means that it will no longer experience any electrical forces from other charges, and its potential energy will be zero.

3. Why is moving a charge to infinity important in physics?

Moving a charge to infinity is important in physics because it allows us to simplify calculations and analyze the behavior of individual charges. It also helps us understand the concept of potential energy and how it relates to the distance between charges.

4. Can any type of charge be moved to infinity?

Yes, all types of charges can be moved to infinity. This includes both positive and negative charges, as well as charges of any magnitude. The process of moving a charge to infinity is the same regardless of the type or magnitude of the charge.

5. Is it possible to physically move a charge to infinity?

No, it is not possible to physically move a charge to infinity. As mentioned earlier, this would require an infinite amount of energy, which is not feasible in reality. However, the concept of moving a charge to infinity is useful for theoretical and mathematical purposes in physics.