1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving a Pendulum's Hanigng Point and the Tension in the String

1. Dec 20, 2008 #1
    I worked out the tension in a pendulum string to be T = mgcos theta + mv^2 / r where r is the length of the string, m is the mass of the bob, v is the bob's velocity, g is acceleration due to gravity and theta is measured from the vertical.

I got this equation from the forces acting on the string. Centripetal force is mv^2 / r and the weight of the bob acting on the string will be mgcos theta.

But what if the point the pendulum string is attached to is moved a distance dx in the x-direction and dy in the y-direction? Obviously, the tension in the string will change.

What's the new formula for T? I just can't work it out!

I observed a real pendulum and found, expectedly, that if you move the hanging point to the left, the bob will swing right in relation to the hanging point - the opposite is true for moving the hanging point left. However, I found that if if I move the hanging point up, the bob will accelerate in the direction it's already travelling. When moving the hanging point down, I observed both accelerations and decelerations and could not figure out exactly why this was. What's going on?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT:
    Using SUVAT: s = ut + 0.5at^2
    Rearranging: a = 2(s - ut) / t^2

Now, say that s = dx for the x-direction and s = dy for the y-direction.

As F = ma, we can work out the extra (or lesser) Tension in the x and y directions. Although, I'm a little confused as to what mass we would use. The mass of the whole system?

Is this correct? In a simulation it provides some slightly odd results in certain situations, and has to be scaled down drastically!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted