Moving a Thread: How to Delete or Fix It?

• Thread starter Elwin.Martin
  • Start date
In summary, the user is asking about deleting their own thread on a forum and is also seeking advice on where to post their content. They are also explaining the topic they plan to write about and asking for feedback. They are unsure about the rules and do not want to break any. Another user suggests reporting the post to have it moved to a specific forum. The user also mentions their past experience with physics and their current understanding of the topic they plan to write about. They are open to feedback and suggestions for improvement.
Elwin.Martin
I posted something on a thread that needs to be moved/deleted. Can I delete my own thread or does someone else have to do this?

I did not intend to post something in the wrong place and I'm just trying to fix it, thanks.

Thread in question:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=516171

Physics news on Phys.org
You can delete it all by yourself if the time-period for editing has not passed. Just select "Edit" and then use the "Delete" option.

turbo-1 said:
You can delete it all by yourself if the time-period for editing has not passed. Just select "Edit" and then use the "Delete" option.

I am missing something, I click edit and don't find a "Delete" option

I see: "Save" "Go Advanced" "Close"

So after that time-period should I just let the thread die on it's own after I remove the content from the OP?

Sorry to be asking so many questions, I just don't want to be breaking any rules/offending anyone.

Elwin.Martin said:
I posted something on a thread that needs to be moved/deleted. Can I delete my own thread or does someone else have to do this?

I did not intend to post something in the wrong place and I'm just trying to fix it, thanks.

Thread in question:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=516171
You already deleted the OP, you cannot delete a thread.

In the future, hit the "report post" button and ask it to be moved to *X* forum and a mentor will get to it rather quickly.

Evo said:
Where do you wish it to be moved?

Well I think ZZ was telling me it should be in HW, he told me to review the FAQ and that's what I garnered from it (the second post in the FAQ expands the rules to any school related work and I didn't see that initially)

the original post content is as follows:

Elwin.Martin said:
I have to do an essay for a composition class where we explain something "I don't quite know everything about but feel as though I have a firm grasp of" and I was originally planning to do an analysis of sorts of a post-modern literary work but my professor thought it would be more in line with my other papers if I did something I was working on in Physics.

Though I'll be starting some decent physics this fall (Modern and directed studies in QFT) I'm still concerned about my basics so I decided a few weeks ago to start reading through some basic texts to check my understanding of topics. I've been reading through Crowell's book on Physics and Hewitt's on conceptual Physics (If you hit this thread Mr. Crowell, I really like the book!) and watching Susskind's lectures (though I'm not that far in any of these yet since it's a bit to do at once).

I decided that I would try to explain what Light is. We read a passage that was from the 1920s that described why the sky is blue and I figured I could try to figure out a reasonable explanation of what light is on basic conceptual level.

My goal is to try and discuss the different perception people have of light a little and try to better explain the idea that light is "both a particle and a wave" etc. This is largely because I feel that this is done poorly for most people not only because not everybody reads their books and some books are just awful (I'm very grateful to have two solid conceptual books to refer to) but also because some teachers don't really understand themselves. My own high school Physics teacher knew her Classical Mechanics extremely well and the same went for her Classical E&M but anything beyond that was pushing her comfort zone.

Anyway, I came here to ask if anyone would like to read it and see what they think. If anything is wrong don't hesitate to point it out, but please have a solid explanation or a reference at your disposal, I'd like to learn something from this. I'm not looking to have people point out issues with commas or anything, this is solely content oriented. If someone feels this needs to be HW I'll move it but I'm not really asking for help with the writing assignment, just in seeing if I understand the ideas well enough to explain them to someone else.

If any interest is expressed I will likely post a copy of the draft later tonight.

Thank you in advanced for your time,
Elwin

So I'm guessing HW/Intro Physics? I'm not sure where else to put it.

Re-read the thread. You mistook the Sticky thread with the FAQ. The FAQs are in the FAQ subforum in the General physics forum.

For the record, I didn't ask you to have this posted in the HW forum. If we think it was inappropriate, you would have been told so, rather than hinted indirectly about it.

Zz.

1. How do I delete a thread?

To delete a thread, click on the thread title to open it. Then, click on the "Options" button and select "Delete". Confirm the deletion and the thread will be permanently removed.

2. Can I fix a thread instead of deleting it?

Yes, you can fix a thread by editing the original post. Click on the thread title to open it, then click on the "Edit" button next to the post you want to fix. Make the necessary changes and save the post.

3. What if I want to delete or fix someone else's thread?

You can only delete or fix your own threads. If you see a thread that needs to be deleted or fixed, you can report it to a moderator or admin for further action.

4. Will deleting a thread also delete all the replies?

Yes, deleting a thread will also delete all the replies associated with it. This cannot be undone, so make sure you want to permanently remove the thread and all its replies before proceeding.

5. How do I know if a thread has been deleted?

If a thread has been deleted, it will no longer appear in the forum or thread list. You can also try accessing the thread directly by URL - if it has been deleted, you will receive an error message.