What will my new average be if I get 90% on my 7th test?

• Thread starter t_n_p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Average
In summary, a moving average is a statistical calculation used to analyze data over a specific period of time by taking the average of a set of data points. It is commonly used in finance and economics to smooth out fluctuations and identify trends. The calculation involves taking the average of a set of data points over a specific period of time, with the oldest data point being dropped as new data becomes available. The purpose of using a moving average is to identify trends and patterns by removing noise and making it easier to see the overall direction of the data. There are two main types of moving averages: simple moving average (SMA) and exponential moving average (EMA). SMA calculates the average by adding up all data points and dividing by the number of points,
t_n_p

Homework Statement

If my average test score is 62% after 6 tests, what will my new average be if I get 90% on my 7th test?

The Attempt at a Solution

solved...

[(62*6)+90]/7

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good except I hope that's not your real scores.

1. What is a moving average?

A moving average is a statistical calculation that is used to analyze data over a certain period of time by taking the average of a set of data points. It is commonly used in finance, economics, and other fields to smooth out fluctuations and identify trends.

2. How is a moving average calculated?

A moving average is calculated by taking the average of a set of data points over a specific period of time. For example, a 10-day moving average would take the average of the past 10 days of data. As new data becomes available, the oldest data point is dropped and the newest data point is added to the calculation.

3. What is the purpose of using a moving average?

The purpose of using a moving average is to identify trends and patterns in data by smoothing out short term fluctuations. It can help to remove noise and make it easier to see the overall direction of the data.

4. What are the different types of moving averages?

There are two main types of moving averages: simple moving average (SMA) and exponential moving average (EMA). SMA calculates the average by simply adding up all the data points and dividing by the number of points. EMA gives more weight to recent data points, making it more responsive to changes in the data.

5. How is a moving average used in technical analysis?

Moving averages are commonly used in technical analysis to identify trends and potential entry and exit points for trades. Traders often look for crossovers between a shorter-term moving average and a longer-term moving average as a signal to buy or sell a stock.