Moving body on a diagonal path

• Thread starter JAZZ541
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Path
In summary: Glad to help.In summary, the problem involves two logs, one weighing 20Kg and the other also weighing 20Kg, connected by a rope and placed on different inclined planes. The first question asks for the time it takes for the log on the inclined plane to move a distance of 1 meter starting from rest, while the second question asks for the tension in the rope connecting the two logs. The solution involves analyzing the forces acting on each log and applying Newton's second law. The final equations involve the masses, acceleration, and angle of the inclined plane. Two additional questions are also posed, involving the minimum static coefficient of friction to keep the system at rest and the time it takes for the log on the inclined
JAZZ541

Homework Statement

Log A weighs 20Kg is laid on a diagonal smooth plane with a diagonal angle of 27 37 degree, log A is tied by a rope to the head of the plane and there through a wheel with no friction the rope descend vertically to the bottom of the plane and through another friction-less wheel is tied to log B that weighs 20 Kg and is laid on a smooth horizontal plane' the last part of the rope tied to log B is horizontal

Homework Equations

1. what is the time in which log A will move a 1 meter distance on the plane if it starts from rest?
2. what is the tension in the rope attached to both logs?

The Attempt at a Solution

is acceleration here 0? or maybe 6? I'm a bit lost would appreciate any help, thx!

physics1.jpg

[edit: fixed typo in given angle (picked up correction from post #3 -- Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
JAZZ541 said:
is acceleration here 0? or maybe 6?
Well, you know the acceleration can't be zero, else the first question would not make sense.

Do this: Analyze the forces acting on A and on B. Apply Newton's 2nd law to each.

Ty!
Is this correct? btw angle is 37 and not 27
physics2.jpg

Well, you don't show arrows. (Forces have direction.) And what does "f" represent? How do t1 and t2 relate?

f - friction ohh, but they said smooth surface, so no friction
and T1 = T2?

JAZZ541 said:
f - friction ohh, but they said smooth surface, so no friction
Right.

JAZZ541 said:
and T1 = T2?
Right. The tension is the same throughout the rope.

I'm sorry I had to go ill try and work on it some more and come back later

JAZZ541 said:
I'm sorry I had to go ill try and work on it some more and come back later
No worries. Give it a shot and then come back and show what you've done.

Thank u for your patience!
I have this:

m1(A)g = m2(B)g = 20Kg

X = 1m

mag • sinα – T = m1a

T = m2a

mag • sinα -T + T = m1a + m2b

200 • 0.60 = a(m1 + m2)

a = 120/40 = 3m/s

X = V0T + at^2 /2

1 = 0 + 3t^2/2

2 = 3t^2

t = 0.816s

T = m2a

T = 20 • 3 = 60N

there are two more questions about this problem:

If there is a friction between log B and the horizontal surface what is the minimal static coefficient of friction in which if the system is in a state of rest then it will remain in that state?

If the kinetic and static coefficient of friction is mu = 0.25, how long will it take log A to travel a 2 meter distance on the plane (the rope is weightless)?

how should I approach that?

Thx again!

JAZZ541 said:
m1(A)g = m2(B)g = 20Kg

X = 1m

mag • sinα – T = m1a

T = m2a

mag • sinα -T + T = m1a + m2b

200 • 0.60 = a(m1 + m2)

a = 120/40 = 3m/s
Good!
(1) Your first equation should be: ##m_1 = m_2 = 20## Kg
(2) Careful with units. Acceleration has units of m/s^2.
(3) It's almost always better to stick to symbols as long as possible before plugging in numbers. Here's how I'd do it:
Since the masses are the same, I'd use "m" for both masses. And since the acceleration is the same, I'd use "a" for that.
##mg\sin\theta - T = ma##
##T = ma##
Adding them, we get:
##mg\sin\theta = 2ma##
And so on.

Note that the mass cancels out! So it doesn't matter (at least for this part of the question).
JAZZ541 said:
X = V0T + at^2 /2

1 = 0 + 3t^2/2

2 = 3t^2

t = 0.816s
Good!

JAZZ541 said:

T = m2a

T = 20 • 3 = 60N
Good!

JAZZ541 said:
If there is a friction between log B and the horizontal surface what is the minimal static coefficient of friction in which if the system is in a state of rest then it will remain in that state?
(1) What additional force acts on B? (Use symbols, not numbers.)
(2) What is the acceleration?

Redo your force equations with this in mind.

JAZZ541 said:
If the kinetic and static coefficient of friction is mu = 0.25, how long will it take log A to travel a 2 meter distance on the plane (the rope is weightless)?
This is similar to the first part, only now there is an additional force acting on B.

TY!

Doc Al said:
(1) What additional force acts on B? (Use symbols, not numbers.)
(2) What is the acceleration?
a = 0 ?

Doc Al said:
Redo your force equations with this in mind.
mgsinα = T = f = mumg ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good!

(I fixed your quotes.)

Likes JAZZ541
Then:
mu = sin37° = 0.6
Ty very very much for your patience and guidance!

JAZZ541 said:
Then:
mu = sin37° = 0.6
Yep!

JAZZ541 said:
Ty very very much for your patience and guidance!
You are welcome.

1. What is a diagonal path?

A diagonal path is a trajectory or route that is angled or slanted, rather than straight or horizontal.

2. Why is it important to consider diagonal movement in scientific studies?

Diagonal movement is important to consider in scientific studies because it is a common form of movement in nature and can provide valuable information about an organism's behavior, physical abilities, and energy expenditure.

3. How does an object move on a diagonal path?

An object moves on a diagonal path by combining both horizontal and vertical movements. This can be achieved through a combination of forces, such as gravity and propulsion, or through the coordination of muscles and joints in living organisms.

4. What factors affect an object's movement on a diagonal path?

The factors that affect an object's movement on a diagonal path include the object's mass, shape, and velocity, as well as external forces such as gravity, friction, and air resistance. Additionally, the surface or environment on which the object is moving can also impact its movement.

5. How is diagonal movement studied in scientific research?

Diagonal movement can be studied in scientific research through various methods, including motion capture technology, high-speed cameras, and computer simulations. Researchers may also use mathematical models and biomechanical analyses to understand the mechanics of diagonal movement in different organisms.