1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving charge.

1. Nov 24, 2013 #1
    Do moving charges 'create' or 'induce' magnetic field around them?

I believe that induction is a phenomenon in which the behavior of one object depends on the behavior of another object provided they interact with each other. In this case, the moving charge is just surrounded by air or vacuum which plays no role in the process of induction. I thus say that moving charges create(and don't induce)magnetic field around them. Any corrections is most welcome.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2013 #2
    In fact the electric field and magnetic field are parts of the same object "electromagnetic tensor" so in a frame where the charge is at rest we see only the electric part but in an other frame where the charge moves we see the two parts. I hope that helps
    Thank you

4. Nov 26, 2013 #3
    Yes I completely understand what you are trying to say. But I'm trying understand the difference between what an induced and a created(generated) field is.

5. Nov 26, 2013 #4
    Dear
    In my opinion, all fields exist, they are not generated or induced by the charges (in general). The charge is a measurable physical quantity giving the coupling of the particle with these fields. It did not induce the field. I invite you to think about how particles acquire an electric charge.
    Thank you to read

6. Nov 26, 2013 #5
    In Faraday's famous experiment, a changing magnetic flux through a conducting loop did 'induce' an opposing magnetic field didn't it? Well, I've gone off topic to talk about induced fields. I agree with you about the existing fields around a charge.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted