Calculating Light Speed and Time Dilation: A Guide to Relativity

• Thread starter Dx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clock
I think you fail to realize here that the question may make sense to you but maybe not to me so why not give me the benefit of the doubt.You're right, Dx. I apologize for not being more patient. I had a hard time finding the postulates online, and I see that the one you're talking about is actually Newton's postulate. Anyway, the first postulate of special relativity is this: All laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames. You'll notice that this postulate does not mention the speed of light, or any other speed for that matter. So where does the speed of light come in?The second postulate, which you quoted, says
Dx
Hi!

1) A fast spaceship is traveling with a speed of .80c. How fast would light travel from the headlights of the ship relative to a stationary observer?

I said the answer was .80c because there is no change, I mean on Earth sure it would be different because of the distance it had to travel right?

2) How fast should a moving clock travel if its to be observed by a stationary observer as running at 1/2 its normal rate?

How do I solve for this? I assume I must calculate the normal rate and take 1/2 of that, correct? But how do I find that answer??
dx
:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Dx
1) A fast spaceship is traveling with a speed of .80c. How fast would light travel from the headlights of the ship relative to a stationary observer?

I said the answer was .80c because there is no change, I mean on Earth sure it would be different because of the distance it had to travel right?

No, the answer is to be found in the postulates of relativity, which should have been among the first things discussed in that chapter.

2) How fast should a moving clock travel if its to be observed by a stationary observer as running at 1/2 its normal rate?

How do I solve for this? I assume I must calculate the normal rate and take 1/2 of that, correct? But how do I find that answer??

In your book, they must have worked out the phenomenon of time dilation. The formula must be there. Can you look it up and give it a shot?

Originally posted by Dx

-------------------------------------------------------------------

No, the answer is to be found in the postulates of relativity, which should have been among the first things discussed in that chapter.

Ok! the second postulate : light propagates thru empty space with a definte speed c independent of the speed of the source or observer. It also talks about If a person traveling toward or away from a source of light will measure the same speed for that light as someone at rest with respect to the source. So why do you say the answer is no, sir?

----------------------------------------------------------------
In your book, they must have worked out the phenomenon of time dilation. The formula must be there. Can you look it up and give it a shot?

Sorry I thought I had posted that formula anyways they gave me very little to work with. The numbers below are made up eg; [del]t and [squ]1 - v^2 / c^2) because these were not given in my question so how do I still solve for this?

t = [del]t / ( [squ]1 - v^2 / c^2)^1/2.
10s / ( [squ]1-.6)^2)^1/2 = 2.5x10^1

But I will definitely give it another try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Dx
Ok! the second postulate : light propagates thru empty space with a definte speed c independent of the speed of the source or observer. It also talks about If a person traveling toward or away from a source of light will measure the same speed for that light as someone at rest with respect to the source. So why do you say the answer is no, sir?

Why do I say "no" to your answer of 0.8c?

Because the postulate says that light always travels at 1.0c!

Sorry I thought I had posted that formula anyways they gave me very little to work with.

They gave you everything you need. If one clock runs at 1/2 the rate of another, then it takes twice as long for the first clock to register the same amount of time. Say the "slow clock" ticks off t0 seconds. Then the "fast clock" ticks off 2t0 seconds (twice as many). The two times are related by the formula you posted, and the only unknown is the speed of the slow clock, which is what they ask for.

Originally posted by Tom
Why do I say "no" to your answer of 0.8c?

Because the postulate says that light always travels at 1.0c!

They gave you everything you need. If one clock runs at 1/2 the rate of another, then it takes twice as long for the first clock to register the same amount of time. Say the "slow clock" ticks off t0 seconds. Then the "fast clock" ticks off 2t0 seconds (twice as many). The two times are related by the formula you posted, and the only unknown is the speed of the slow clock, which is what they ask for.

Ok Tom! An easy question for you. Please tell me where in the postulate that I stated exactly from my physics book does it say anything about 1c. Are you going to try and explain to me; someone who has no experience but have been studying this chapter that its understood. Please, tell me that not your answer, Tom. I think you fail to realize here that the question may make sense to you but maybe not to me so why not give me the benefit of the doubt. Its not like, I am not trying hard here, I really am!
Dx :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Dx
Please tell me where in the postulate that I stated exactly from my physics book does it say anything about 1c.

Dx, not only is it clearly stated in the postulate, but that is all the postulate says!

Here it is again, just as you wrote it:

light propagates thru empty space with a definte speed c independent of the speed of the source or observer.

Do you understand that c and 1c are exactly the same thing?

OK! But I still don't understand how that helps me I mean the answer is not .5c is it?

Originally posted by Dx
OK! But I still don't understand how that helps me I mean the answer is not .5c is it?

What does the postulate say?

Let me get this straight: you quote, and say you understand, a
postulate that says the speed of light is ALWAYS the SAME to EVERY observer, no matter what the motion and THEN you say you can't understand why the answer to the question "How fast would light travel from the headlights of the ship relative to a stationary observer?" is c rather than 0.8 c or 0.5 c ?

THE FUNDAMENTAL POSTULATE OF RELATIVITY (not a postulate in the mathematical sense- it's really based on experiment) say
that The speed of light is c TO ANY OBSERVER!

1. How is light speed calculated?

Light speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by light by the time it takes to travel that distance. The exact value of light speed is 299,792,458 meters per second, or approximately 186,282 miles per second.

2. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental concept in physics that explains how the laws of physics are the same for all inertial observers, regardless of their relative motion. It encompasses two main theories: the special theory of relativity, which deals with objects moving at constant speeds, and the general theory of relativity, which includes the effects of gravity.

3. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by the theory of relativity, where time appears to pass slower for a moving object compared to a stationary object. This is due to the fact that the speed of light is constant, and as an object's velocity increases, time slows down for that object in relation to a stationary observer.

4. How does time dilation affect space travel?

Time dilation has a significant impact on space travel, as astronauts traveling at high speeds experience time passing slower for them compared to people on Earth. This means that, in theory, astronauts could age slower than their counterparts on Earth, and this effect becomes more pronounced the closer they travel to the speed of light.

5. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation can be observed in everyday life, even at relatively low speeds. For example, GPS satellites orbiting Earth experience time dilation due to their high velocities, which must be taken into account in order for the GPS system to function accurately. However, the effects of time dilation are usually too small to be noticed in our daily lives.