Solving Moving Crate Problem: Find Pmin

• Thread starter MorehouseM11
  • Start date
In summary, to get the crate moving, the force you apply must be greater than or equal to \frac{\mu_smg\cos\theta}{1 - \mu_s\tan\theta}. This is the minimum force required to overcome the static friction between the crate and the floor, and it is dependent on the coefficient of static friction \mu_s, the weight of the crate m, and the angle at which the force is applied \theta.
MorehouseM11

Homework Statement

A crate of weight w initially lies at rest on a horizontal floor. You then push on the crate with a constant force of magnitude P that is directed at angle [tex]\theta[/tex] downward from the horizontal. The coefficient of static friction between the crate and floor is [tex]\mu[/tex]s.

(a) Show that, in order to get the crate moving, you must have P [tex]\geq[/tex] Pmin, where

Pmin = [tex]\mu[/tex]sw sec[tex]\theta[/tex]
1- [tex]\mu[/tex] s tan [tex]\theta[/tex]

Hint: Determine the hardest you can push for the crate to remain at rest

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]fx = max
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]fx = may

The Attempt at a Solution

After my free body diagram I have the follwoing:
N - Positive Y Direction
[tex]\mu[/tex]s - Negative X Direction
mg - Negative Y Direction
P - Negative X with cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]fx = max
-Ms-Pcos[tex]\theta[/tex] = ma (i)

Efy = may
Psin[tex]\theta[/tex] + N - mg = 0 (ii)

Solving for N we get N = -Psin[tex]\theta[/tex] + mg
Plug N into Equation (i)
-[tex]\mu[/tex]s (-Psin[tex]\theta[/tex] + mg) - Pcos[tex]\theta[/tex] = ma

I know I am supposed to solve for P but with two P's in my final equation I'm not sure how>
I just need some guidance on what's the next step of this problem. Any help is appreciated.

P.s. Excuse The E it's equal to sigma and the same goes for M it's equal to Muse of I was having trouble getting those symbols to work

Physics news on Phys.org

To solve for P, you can substitute the expression for N into the equation for \Sigma F_x, giving you:

-\mu_s(-P\sin\theta + mg) - P\cos\theta = ma

Next, you can factor out the P and solve for it:

P(-\mu_s\sin\theta - \cos\theta) = ma + \mu_smg

P = \frac{ma + \mu_smg}{-\mu_s\sin\theta - \cos\theta}

Now, to determine the minimum value of P, you need to consider the case where the crate is just on the verge of moving, meaning that the acceleration is zero. This means that ma = 0. Substituting this into the equation for P, you get:

P_{min} = \frac{\mu_smg}{-\mu_s\sin\theta - \cos\theta}

You can simplify this expression further using trigonometric identities, specifically:

-\mu_s\sin\theta - \cos\theta = -\mu_s\frac{\sin\theta}{\cos\theta} - \cos\theta = -\mu_s\tan\theta - \cos\theta

Substituting this into the expression for P_{min}, you get:

P_{min} = \frac{\mu_smg}{-\mu_s\tan\theta - \cos\theta}

Finally, you can use the identity \sec\theta = \frac{1}{\cos\theta} to get the final expression for P_{min}:

P_{min} = \frac{\mu_smg}{\sec\theta - \mu_s\tan\theta} = \frac{\mu_smg}{\frac{1}{\cos\theta} - \frac{\mu_s\sin\theta}{\cos\theta}} = \frac{\mu_smg}{\frac{1 - \mu_s\tan\theta}{\cos\theta}} = \frac{\mu_smg\cos\theta}{1 - \mu_s\tan\theta}

Thus, the minimum force required to move the crate is given by:

P_{min} = \frac{\mu_smg\cos\theta}{1 - \mu_s\tan\theta}

1. What is the "Moving Crate Problem"?

The Moving Crate Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the minimum amount of force needed to move a crate from one point to another. It takes into account factors such as the weight of the crate, the friction of the surface, and the angle of incline.

2. What is "Pmin"?

"Pmin" refers to the minimum force needed to move the crate. It is the value that is being solved for in the Moving Crate Problem.

3. How is Pmin calculated?

Pmin is calculated using the equation Pmin = μmg cosθ, where μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the crate, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of incline.

4. What factors affect Pmin?

The main factors that affect Pmin are the weight of the crate, the coefficient of friction of the surface it is being moved on, and the angle of incline. Other factors such as the presence of obstacles or the use of lubricants can also affect Pmin.

5. Can Pmin be lower than the weight of the crate?

Yes, it is possible for Pmin to be lower than the weight of the crate. This can happen if the coefficient of friction is very low or if the angle of incline is close to 0 degrees.