Moving Down a Ramp: Answers & Explanations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with objects sliding and rolling on frictionless surfaces. The equations for A&C, B&D, and E&F are provided, along with a discussion of how to plug in the values. The final heights are determined for each object, with the conclusion that all objects will reach the same height as their original height. The conversation then goes on to discuss the forces and accelerations on the up-slope and down-slope, with the final determination that the answer to the problem is B&D, A&C, then E&F.
JessicaHelena

Homework Statement

Please look at the problem attached as a screenshot.

Homework Equations

Assuming frictionless, Ei = Ef, which means objects that are the same will end up in the same heights (so we can group A&C, B&D, and E&F).
For A&C and E&F, mgh = KE_rot + KE_trans
For B&D, it is mgh = KE_trans.
Also, v = rw (I know it's omega, but for convenience, I'll write it as w).
I _solid sphere = 2/5mr^2
I_hollow sphere = 2/3mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

After all these equations set up, now it's pretty much plugging things in. For A&C ,

mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2
mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 1/5mr^2w^2
gh = 1/2v^2 + 1/5 r^2(v/r)^2
gh = 1/2v^2 + 1/5v^2 = 7/10v^2
so v^2 = 10gh/7
then KE at the end is then 1/2mv^2 = 5mgh/7, and that can be converted to the new GPE. so the height will be 5/7 the original height.

For E&F, I can use a similar process, only now I = 2/3mr^2. That gives me a KE of 3/5mgh, so the new (final) height will be 3/5 the original height.

For the blocks (B&D), there's only KE_trans, so Ei = Ef and mgh = 1/2mv^2. With no rot KE to lose trans KE to, the final height should be the same as the original height.

Thus, in order, it is B&D, A&C, E&F.

Could someone please check if I don't have any flaws in my reasoning?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 6.36.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 6.36.50 PM.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
Where does the rotational energy go for the sphere on the upward slope?

Oh... so would it be that all objects (regardless of their shape) would end up with a same height that's identical to their original heights?

Likes CWatters
JessicaHelena said:
Oh... so would it be that all objects (regardless of their shape) would end up with a same height that's identical to their original heights?

Yes, but can you explain what happens on the up-slope? You need a free-body diagram to show what gravity and friction are doing.

It's accelerating down the slope even though it will continue moving up. So would that mean the objects don't quite reach the same height?

Using F_net = ma, I get that a = g*sin(theta), and I guess we could use v^2 = v_0^2 + 2ax (Where v = v^2 = 0) to get the x and then use trig to get the actual height, but wouldn't there be a better way using energy?

JessicaHelena said:
It's accelerating down the slope even though it will continue moving up. So would that mean the objects don't quite reach the same height?

Using F_net = ma, I get that a = g*sin(theta), and I guess we could use v^2 = v_0^2 + 2ax (Where v = v^2 = 0) to get the x and then use trig to get the actual height, but wouldn't there be a better way using energy?

You can use energy considerations as an explanation (and not talk about forces). But, it's interesting to consider the forces as well:

On the downslope a sphere accelerates more slowly if it rolls (instead of slips).

On the upslope, the sphere must decelerate more slowly than it would under gravity alone in order to reach the same height. How does this happen?

Wouldn't it be similar to the downslope scenario — because the sphere is still rolling uphill, there'd be less of translation velocity, so it would decelerate more slowly as well?

But I'm a little lost, to be honest, when you say "On the downslope a sphere accelerates more slowly if it rolls (instead of slips)." It would certainly have less v_trans, but I don't think accelerating more quickly/slowly has much to do with the magnitude of v, and in that case, my answer above would be wrong too.

JessicaHelena said:
Wouldn't it be similar to the downslope scenario — because the sphere is still rolling uphill, there'd be less of translation velocity, so it would decelerate more slowly as well?

But I'm a little lost, to be honest, when you say "On the downslope a sphere accelerates more slowly if it rolls (instead of slips)." It would certainly have less v_trans, but I don't think accelerating more quickly/slowly has much to do with the magnitude of v, and in that case, my answer above would be wrong too.

You started off with an answer that said: B&D, then A&C, then E&F.

Let's start again. Why don't you give your revised answer and why.

JessicaHelena said:
when you say "On the downslope a sphere accelerates more slowly if it rolls (instead of slips)." It would certainly have less v_trans, but I don't think accelerating more quickly/slowly has much to do with the magnitude of v,
You are right that a reduced acceleration does not obviously lead to a lower speed since it will accelerate for longer. Indeed, for two balls rolling down different ramps of the same height the gentler ramp will produce less acceleration, but the speed will be the same at the bottom.
If you want to analyse it in terms of forces rather than energy then you will need to get into the actual equations.

I consider the question flawed. The box also has rotational inertia, and making it small does not circumvent that. As it goes through the curve at the bottom some energy will become rotational. What happens to that as the track straightens again? Seems to me the options do not encompass the true answer.

Likes gneill

1. How does the angle of the ramp affect the speed of an object moving down?

The steeper the angle of the ramp, the greater the acceleration of the object due to the force of gravity. This results in a higher speed for the object as it moves down the ramp.

2. Is there a relationship between the length of the ramp and the distance an object travels?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between the length of the ramp and the distance an object travels. The longer the ramp, the further the object will travel due to the increased time it has to accelerate down the ramp.

3. How does the mass of the object affect its speed when moving down a ramp?

The mass of the object has no effect on its speed when moving down a ramp. All objects, regardless of mass, will accelerate at the same rate due to the force of gravity.

4. Can the material of the ramp affect the speed of an object moving down?

Yes, the material of the ramp can affect the speed of an object moving down. A smoother surface will result in less friction and a faster speed, while a rougher surface will create more friction and slow down the object's speed.

5. Is there a limit to how fast an object can move down a ramp?

The speed of an object moving down a ramp is limited by the force of gravity and the angle of the ramp. As the angle of the ramp approaches 90 degrees, the object's speed will approach the acceleration due to gravity, known as terminal velocity. At this point, the object will not accelerate any further and will maintain a constant speed.