Moving from physics to another field: citing academic literature in PS?

In summary: Additionally, you can use your personal statement to highlight your research skills and experience, but keep in mind that this can also be communicated through letters of recommendation. Ultimately, the personal statement is an opportunity for you to showcase your knowledge and passion for the field and convince the admissions committee that you are a strong candidate, despite your nontraditional background. In summary, a strong command of the research literature in cognitive science or psychopharmacology can be a valuable asset in a personal statement for grad school applications, as it can demonstrate a deep understanding of the subject matter and the ability to contribute new ideas to the field. While discussing your research experience and skills is important, the personal statement should primarily focus on showcasing your knowledge and passion for the field and proving that
Simfish
Gold Member
Okay, I know that the personal statement really does not contain much space at all. But what if you have a *very* strong command of the research literature in, say, cognitive science or psychopharmacology, and wish to apply to cognitive science/psychopharmacology grad schools with a background in a highly theoretical field? (math/CS/physics). The math/physics/CS experience should be sufficient to prove aptitude, and the strong command of the research literature could (for me, anyways :p) prove a willingness to stick *to* the field and to contribute novel ideas to it. So I'm thinking that a very strong command of the literature of the field could result in a strong personal statement (one that is not easy to make up at all), and that this could really help with a grad school application (especially if one does not have research experience in that field - research experience in fields like cognitive science are often VERY difficult to find in most schools, and is also often closed off to non-majors).

Of course, describing your research experience and research skills is often important, but that can often be communicated through the letters of recommendation instead. The main concern here is that the adcoms may believe that the applicant is not a "good fit" for the department due to his nontraditional background, and I'm believing that the personal statement is the only way to get around that, and the only way to "prove" it can be to discuss the research literature, in a way that cannot be faked (so it has to be somewhat extensive).

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you could use your personal statement to show that you have a strong command of the research literature in cognitive science or psychopharmacology. You can discuss the research that you have read and provide examples of how your background in math, physics, or computer science has helped you to understand the subject matter more deeply. You can also discuss how your theoretical background has enabled you to come up with new ideas and approaches to the field. This will provide evidence that you are a good fit for the department and that you will be able to contribute novel ideas to the field.

1. How do I cite academic literature in a field outside of physics?

When citing academic literature in a field outside of physics, it is important to follow the citation style guidelines of that specific field. This may include using a different citation format or including additional information such as the author's credentials or the publication's impact factor. It is best to consult the style guide or ask a professor or colleague familiar with the field for guidance.

2. Is it necessary to cite academic literature from my previous field of physics when writing in a new field?

Yes, it is important to cite any relevant academic literature from your previous field of physics when writing in a new field. This not only gives credit to the authors of the literature, but also shows the depth of your research and understanding of the topic. However, it is also important to prioritize and only cite literature that is directly related to your current topic.

3. Can I use the same citation style for all fields when moving from physics to another field?

No, it is not recommended to use the same citation style for all fields when moving from physics to another field. Each field has its own specific citation style guidelines, and it is important to follow them in order to maintain consistency and credibility in your writing. Using the wrong citation style can also lead to confusion for readers and potentially affect the accuracy of your citations.

4. How can I find relevant academic literature in a new field?

When moving from physics to a new field, it is important to familiarize yourself with the top journals and publications in that field. You can do this by searching for keywords related to your topic in online databases or by consulting with experts in the field. Once you have identified relevant publications, you can use their reference lists to find additional sources.

5. What should I do if I am unsure about how to cite a specific source from my previous field of physics?

If you are unsure about how to cite a specific source from your previous field of physics, it is best to consult with a professor or colleague who is familiar with the field. They can provide guidance on the appropriate citation style and format to use. Additionally, there are online resources and citation generators available that can assist with proper citation formatting.