Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving observer can see what?

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1

crx

Can anybody provide me with a link to a REAL life experiment (a credible source, and not a thought experiment. ) when a moving observer relative to an electric charge can see a magnetic field? I'm thinking to a sensor that is spinning around an electrically charged sphere or disc...if in REAL life will see or not an magnetic field?
    I'm asking because i learned of an similar experiment where the Hall effect sensor did not measured any magnetic field while spinning around a stationary charged disc, but the website wasn't too convincing... Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Do you mean measure a magnetic field? Or literally see a magnetic field?

4. Nov 18, 2009 #3
    If you agree that electric current is due to charges in motion, then all you need is some wire, a battery, and a compass and you can see for yourself that moving charges produce magnetic fields.

5. Nov 18, 2009 #4

crx

Sense the presence of a magnetic field, ("see" and measure the Lorentz force upon a test charge). So, is there a magnetic field "observed" from a moving observer point of view that is moving around an electrically charged body that is considered stationary to the, lets say, laboratory (where the experiment its made...) reference frame, or what, you know what i mean...? Is there any credible experience done in this matter?

6. Nov 18, 2009 #5

crx

...but what if we have different results if the charge is considered stationary (in the local frame)?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook