1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving Observer

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose E and B are measured by an ovserver at rest to be (in N/C)
    E = [0,0,60] B = [0,0,0]

Now another observer travels close by in the +x direction at a constant speed of v = .8c with respect to the other observer.

A. What is E' be in the moving frame? DONE
    b. what will B' be in the moving frame? DONE
    c. If a charge q = 1micro C travels with the moving observer (v = .8c in the +x direction), what is the direction of F(em) according to the observer at rest?

d. what is the direction of F(em) according ot the observer moving along witht he charge?

2. Relevant equations

I assume F(em) = q[E + v/c X B] or the other ref frame version

3. The attempt at a solution

Which one do I use? If the observer is at rest, wouldn't he be seeing the v = .8 c ? That would not even matter cause B = 0 anyways right? I would still use F(em) = q[E + v/c X B] right?

for part D. I would use F'(em) = q[E' + v'/c X B'] where v' = ??? would it be 0 because they are traveling same v?

I understand that F(em) ne F'(em) but what is also confusing is that in both cases, the E field is the only contributing factor to the force. Is that assumption true?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2009 #2
    Am I missing something here? Its copied exactly how it is written on paper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook