Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving of Particles

1. Sep 18, 2007 #1
    I once read that you weren't supposed to take a pitch fork vibrate it and but it to your skin because it would make the molecules vibrate the same way and cause a discrepancy????????
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2007 #2
    .. Can I sell you a bridge? :wink:

(Does it concern you that singing could cause the same type of vibrations in the molecules of your throat?)
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  4. Sep 18, 2007 #3
    i thought it was a different case because that your throat acts as a pitch fork sending the pitch but when using a different object it could cause your own molecules to vibrate with the fork sending them moving in the same directions. Electrons and protons going the same way isn't good i presume????
  5. Sep 18, 2007 #4
    Why do you presume that?

I'll tell you a good trick: give that tuning fork a whack on the table, then press the end of its handle hard against your forehead for a minute, while you think..

Meanwhile, don't attribute random claims to something "I once read"; you're expected to give proper citations here.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  6. Sep 18, 2007 #5
    i just thought that they were supposed to be moving at different directions. isn't that the basis of matter how tightly packed the molecules are in a substance??
  7. Sep 18, 2007 #6
    Any way back to my original question on will it happen if you put a vibrating fork on to your skin
  8. Sep 18, 2007 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The answer has already been given: nothing at all. Why in the world would you think something special would?
  9. Sep 18, 2007 #8
    Like healing crystals, occult pendulums, tinfoil hats, divining rods . . .
  10. Sep 28, 2007 #9
    Commonly done

Neurologists and audiologists, among other doctors, commonly do this. No harm occurs except it sometimes tickles.
  11. Sep 28, 2007 #10
    put your hand on a stereo's speaker

(but not for too long---it makes your flesh melt)
  12. Sep 28, 2007 #11
    Simple. The fork will stop vibrating. its just like stopping it with your finger. If you don't press it hard, it just feels cool.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?