What do I need when moving out?

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary, the current expenses are what the person doesn't know yet. They contacted the utilities company and they should get back to them by tomorrow. They are looking into apartments and the one they are looking at has a stove and fridge, but no cable or internet and maybe no phone. They may need to buy a couch, chair, and some other furniture.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I've been looking at apartments and there is a good chance that I may be moving out by May 1st.

The current expenses are what I don't know yet. I'm not sure if utilities are included or what not. I contacted them about it and they should get back to me hopefully by tomorrow.

Anyways, here is what I have in mind.

What I already have...

Laptop
Desk
TV
DVD Player
Bookshelves
File Cabinet
Clock
Heater
Air Filter
Lots of Tools
Comforter

What I know I need...

Dish Towels
Dry Towels
Bathroom Towels
Cutlery
Plates
Pan and Pot
Microwave
Cleaning Supplies
Pillow
Blanket
Mattress (Air or whatever is cheap.)

Is there anything else?

All the apartments I looked at have Stove and Fridge. I'll most like be living with no cable and internet and maybe even no phone. :frown:

Am I missing anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the apartment furnished? If not you may want to invest in a couch, or some decent chairs. Assuming the place isn't air conditioned I would recommend bringing a fan, the first place I moved into I never turned the heat on, could crack the window when it was 40 below outside and it would still be to hot in there, the fan was definitely something I was glad to have. Maybe a plunger for the bathroom. Depending on the place you may need to supply your own shower curtain, and definitely a bath mat if you want one. Maybe a toaster, blender or coffee maker if you think you would use it. I'm trying to run through the list of things I got when I moved out but I'm kind of drawing a blank. I'll think some more but everything looks good so far.

Go and get yourself a double size matress, commonly known as a double. You don't need a box spring or anything else.

I lived in a house for 2 months with:
bed
a couple of towels
fridge
stove
2 servings of silverwear
plates
pot
coffee pot
table
chair
frying pan
broom
dust pan
radio
phone
clock

I eventually bought a lawn mower and gas can.

The neighbors thought I was weird until they saw me installing a swing set for my kids who were coming in a couple of weeks. They saw a guy leave in the am, come home at dinner time, occasionally leave to get some groceries, run a few days a week and go to church and the laundromat on Sunday am.

I call that period my "Gilligans Island" adventure.

Within 6 months you'll have more crap than you ever thought you'd ever need.

scorpa said:
Is the apartment furnished? If not you may want to invest in a couch, or some decent chairs. Assuming the place isn't air conditioned I would recommend bringing a fan, the first place I moved into I never turned the heat on, could crack the window when it was 40 below outside and it would still be to hot in there, the fan was definitely something I was glad to have. Maybe a plunger for the bathroom. Depending on the place you may need to supply your own shower curtain, and definitely a bath mat if you want one. Maybe a toaster, blender or coffee maker if you think you would use it. I'm trying to run through the list of things I got when I moved out but I'm kind of drawing a blank. I'll think some more but everything looks good so far.

Thanks for everything.

For the couch, I'm going to wait until later for that. One of the places is conditionned, and my heater is a fan as well. Not a good one though, so maybe I'll find a nice one at a garage sale.

I'll never use a toaster, blender or coffee maker so no worries there.

Dr Transport said:
Go and get yourself a double size matress, commonly known as a double. You don't need a box spring or anything else.

I lived in a house for 2 months with:
bed
a couple of towels
fridge
stove
2 servings of silverwear
plates
pot
coffee pot
table
chair
frying pan
broom
dust pan
radio
phone
clock

I eventually bought a lawn mower and gas can.

The neighbors thought I was weird until they saw me installing a swing set for my kids who were coming in a couple of weeks. They saw a guy leave in the am, come home at dinner time, occasionally leave to get some groceries, run a few days a week and go to church and the laundromat on Sunday am.

I call that period my "Gilligans Island" adventure.

Within 6 months you'll have more crap than you ever thought you'd ever need.

I might not have enough money to buy a mattress. Or a place to put clothes.

I'll get quite a bit of stuff over time like you said, but I want to nail down the things I'll need right away.

I'll be taking trips to garage sales for sure. :biggrin:

The only other thing I would say to make sure that you have is your wits. Especially with money. I know it sounds corny, but it gets proven time and time again. When you get your first place you will "nickel and dime yourself" to death. By that I mean that you will unknowingly spend a ton of money getting those little things you take for granted. The big ticket items show up on your radar really well. However, those $2 and $5 here and there for stupid things like soap or toothpaste, etc... do add up very quickly. Just beware. You will be surprised how fast it racks up.

Good luck and enjoy the wonderful world of apartment living.

JasonRox said:
Thanks for everything.

For the couch, I'm going to wait until later for that. One of the places is conditionned, and my heater is a fan as well. Not a good one though, so maybe I'll find a nice one at a garage sale.

I'll never use a toaster, blender or coffee maker so no worries there.

For the couch if you don't want to buy new look around at garage sales, bargain finder, ask family...ect that is how I got mine...brand new couch but the people were moving again and didn't want to take it with them so I got it for 50 bucks :biggrin: :biggrin:

Another thing that might come in handy for storage if you need it is those rubbermaid containers you can get at Canadian tire or stores like that, i have some that i just throw stuff in and slide under my bed.

Extension cords come in handy every once in a while.

For the apartment I have now I also found it had no lighting, so I had to buy some floor lamps so I could see. I got a few at IKEA for 20 bucks each, they don't look to bad and are very bright.

FredGarvin said:
The only other thing I would say to make sure that you have is your wits. Especially with money. I know it sounds corny, but it gets proven time and time again. When you get your first place you will "nickel and dime yourself" to death. By that I mean that you will unknowingly spend a ton of money getting those little things you take for granted. The big ticket items show up on your radar really well. However, those $2 and $5 here and there for stupid things like soap or toothpaste, etc... do add up very quickly. Just beware. You will be surprised how fast it racks up.

Good luck and enjoy the wonderful world of apartment living.

I currently buy my own groceries, toothpaste and what not. I'm totally aware of that.

I really hope it's not that bad. I'm looking forward to independence.

It's not horrible. Just be prepared for a bit of a surprise, that's all.

Independence is the best. Nothing beats it.

You need a roommate. I'll give you his number. May 1st works great.

JasonRox said:
I've been looking at apartments and there is a good chance that I may be moving out by May 1st.

The current expenses are what I don't know yet. I'm not sure if utilities are included or what not. I contacted them about it and they should get back to me hopefully by tomorrow.

Anyways, here is what I have in mind.

What I already have...

Laptop
Desk
TV
DVD Player
Bookshelves
File Cabinet
Clock
Heater
Air Filter
Lots of Tools
Comforter

What I know I need...

Dish Towels
Dry Towels
Bathroom Towels
Cutlery
Plates
Pan and Pot
Microwave
Cleaning Supplies
Pillow
Blanket

Is there anything else?

All the apartments I looked at have Stove and Fridge. I'll most like be living with no cable and internet and maybe even no phone. :frown:

Am I missing anything?

-phone
-cable
-internet

Does your desk also have a desk chair? If so, that will probably also suffice for a dining table until you can get one. Otherwise, a cheap card table and folding chair or two is good enough for a first apartment. I'd go for an actual mattress as well instead of an inflatable one (those just don't hold up well and while it's okay for a night or two, to use it as your regular bed will become uncomfortable quickly), or maybe you can find a futon at a garage sale to use as both bed and couch. Don't forget sheets for the bed and something for toting laundry (assuming you don't have a washer and dryer in your apartment, you'll need to use the laundromat).

A few cooking utensils and a baking pan would be helpful too (you have your pots and pans for the stove already on the list, but a 13" x 9" baking pan is also very versatile for anything you might need to cook in the oven).

Beyond that, you probably have more than most people move into their first place with. You'll figure out other stuff as you go along. Save some of the boxes you use for moving, because a sheet thrown over them will make them into a useful end table or coffee table in a pinch. You might also find you need a lamp or two for your desk if the rooms don't have good light in them.

I think the most shocking expense in a first apartment is that first grocery bill as you're stocking a pantry from scratch. Even with just a few basic spices, and condiments, it adds up quickly. If you can scavenge plastic containers for the freezer, that will help you out so you can store leftovers or buy some bulk items that you can divide up for smaller serving sizes. But, worse comes to worst, you just eat rather bland food for a while until you can gradually build up a stock of ingredients.

I went for years without cable, and you'll find there's not much to miss. Can you find places where you live that have free wireless for internet access? Order a cup of coffee and hang out for an hour or so there to do what you need to do online. I would recommend you do get a phone though, even if it's just the cheapest phone plan and cheapest phone you can get. If you have problems with something and need to call the landlord, or have an emergency, you'll need a phone. Oh, and don't forget your library card. If you're going to be without cable TV (how much reception do you get on just an antenna there?) and without internet access and really limiting how much time you spend on the phone (or without a phone at all), you're going to need something to keep yourself occupied when home by yourself, so it'll probably be lots of reading.

Good luck and enjoy your independence.

That is a bad idea. Just sleep on the floor, its much better for your back than an air mattress.

cyrusabdollahi said:
-phone
-cable
-internet

None of those are important. You can access internet through a local library or employment centre. It will cut into your PF time to do it that way, but them's the breaks. Alternatively, if you have Airport you can piggyback on somebody else's wifi.
In case Scorpa's prediction of your heating situation is mistaken, I would advise against using an air mattress. I tried it once; the damned thing sucks all the heat out of an electric blanket (or mattress pad in my case) before it can do you any good. It just expands instead of warming up.
A vacuum cleaner might be handy. Depending upon your wardrobe choices, you might also want an iron. (I've never used either myself, but I'm a slob. :biggrin: )

edit: I guess that I shouldn't watch TV and post at the same time. I just saw Moonie's contribution after I threw this one out. She does have a point about the phone, although a payphone in your immediate vicinity would suffice for outgoing calls.

Last edited:
Other things I have...

Lamps (3 of them)
Library Card (Library nearby with internet)

So, I'm adding...

Cheap Phone Plan (most likely cellphone)
Baking Pan
Real Mattress
Cooking Utensils

Also, note that laundry is on site.

For food, like I said, I already buy groceries. I don't use any spices besides Chili Powder and Black Pepper. I don't even use sugar, salt, ketchup, mustard, mayo, butter, and lots of things. I have everything I need for food right now, so I'm alright for that. I just eat produce, chicken and pasta basically.

Thanks Moonbeak for all the great advice!

More to add...

Broom (cheaper than a vacuum)

I can live without an iron. :smile:

While a broom is definitely cheaper, it won't work on carpet or upholstery. An electric broom is a reasonable compromise, and you can get a used one for about $5.

Great point!

Damn, I've cleaned a carpet before. It's probably a pain in the arse!

Remember, having to borrow stuff is a great excuse to talk to your neighbors. That's how I got to know the woman who became my wife a few years later. :wink:

Danger said:
None of those are important. You can access internet through a local library or employment centre. It will cut into your PF time to do it that way, but them's the breaks. Alternatively, if you have Airport you can piggyback on somebody else's wifi.
In case Scorpa's prediction of your heating situation is mistaken, I would advise against using an air mattress. I tried it once; the damned thing sucks all the heat out of an electric blanket (or mattress pad in my case) before it can do you any good. It just expands instead of warming up.
A vacuum cleaner might be handy. Depending upon your wardrobe choices, you might also want an iron. (I've never used either myself, but I'm a slob. :biggrin: )

edit: I guess that I shouldn't watch TV and post at the same time. I just saw Moonie's contribution after I threw this one out. She does have a point about the phone, although a payphone in your immediate vicinity would suffice for outgoing calls.

You didnt read his post and my reply, did you? :grumpy:

I read all the posts.

JasonRox said:
I've cleaned a carpet before. It's probably a pain in the arse!
Only if you clean it the way my Corgi used to...

cyrusabdollahi said:
You didnt read his post and my reply, did you? :grumpy:

I did, but I don't see your point.

He said:

Is there anything else?

All the apartments I looked at have Stove and Fridge. I'll most like be living with no cable and internet and maybe even no phone.

Am I missing anything?

And I said,

-internet
-cable
-phone

Those are the things missing from the list. arg, you killed my sarcasm. I am going to punish you by taking a few cases of your beer.

Where is your appt at Jason? I know some appartments are beehives of hot women...jeeeezus. If that's the case, listen to JTBell.

cyrusabdollahi said:
you killed my sarcasm. I am going to punish you by taking a few cases of your beer.

Okay, I totally missed that. Sorry.
And, being a Yank, you can't handle my beer. Stick to that fish piss that they sell in the other 50 provinces. :tongue:

Leave our caviar alone man.

JasonRox said:
More to add...

Broom (cheaper than a vacuum)

I can live without an iron. :smile:

You can't live without an iron! No girl is going to want to go out with a guy who looks like he's slept in his clothes
You need an iron appearance means alot! Not to mention if you wanting a job you can't go to the job interview crumpled its an absolute No NO

That's what Perma-Press [TM] clothes are for! :biggrin:

Yeah, you really don't need an iron. If you need to dress up for an interview, just take the suit to the drycleaners and have them press it. Most people don't wear stuff that needs a lot of ironing anyway as long as you fold the clothes promptly after coming out of the dryer.

If you can find a used vacuum, that's good, otherwise, a broom will pick up large debris off a carpet, and you might be able to find a neighbor who will let you borrow a vacuum (as others suggested, it's a good way to meet the neighbors). Since you have tools, you may find you can work out a good trade arrangement that you borrow their vacuum and iron occassionally, and they borrow some tools you have occassionally.

Don't worry, usually the excitement of getting to live on your own wins over the nervousness of moving out from your parents' protection. And, unless you're getting kicked out by them, I'm sure if you have the odd need, they'd be happy to let you stop by to iron a few shirts or borrow a vacuum for a weekend, as long as it's only once in a while and you're mostly managing on your own.

A couple cases of bottled beer bought in the wooden cases (if anybody still sells those). The cases make good end tables and it's not like you're really paying for them. It's more like money in the bank. If funds get tight, you have something you can return to get your deposit back.

Plus, of course, you get to drink the beer.

And a collander or strainer. But if you eat a lot of pasta, you probably already have one. A plate against the top of the pot works, but I remember I decided I really needed one after having to improvise about two or three times.

Last edited:
This slipped my mind until Bob's last post. I always like to keep a stash of nylon and/or aluminum screen around. It's cheaper than dirt, and has lots of uses. One of those is to stretch a piece through an embroidery hoop (about 50¢ at a craft or fabric shop) to act as a strainer. With a stick duct-taped on for a handle, this can double as an improvised fly-swatter, although you might want to wash it before using it for your pasta, or a badminton racquet should you happen to be invited to a match.
A bigger piece (aluminum only) makes a good safety guard when you're frying bacon naked, and you can make your own teabags out of little bits. Some of it scrunched up works as a 'scrubby' for cleaning pots and such.
Last, but not least, a bunch of it rolled up and stuffed in a paper-towel tube serves as a semi-effective silencer if you have to start shooting mice.

Last edited:
Danger that's a bit too creative!

I'll just buy a strainer.

So, adding to my list...

- Strainer

I guess there could be a lot of hot women around, but I doubt it. The two places that I'm thinking about definitely most likely not. But the third place, there is a chance for it though.

There is one place that has the sweetest spot. It has a park nearby (2 minutes), bus terminal nearby (2 minutes) and library nearby (2 minutes), and among other things. The only problem is that it costs $100 more than the cheapest place. The cheapest place is like 7-8 minute walk from all the above. Really close to my buddies house though.

MILK CRATES: THEY ARE YOUR FRIEND...you live in teh ontario area right?

They are multipurpose. Act as the bottom of your bed(if you have wooden planks) shelving and clothing unit...Dinner table...if you can get your hand on long planks of wood and like 6 milk creates you can make yourself one helluva tv unit/bookshelf/clothing unit.

Best thing is that if you go to the right school they sometimes leave it out in the open...and if you scrounge aroud you may be able to find the cafeteria or labs getting rid of some.

Make sure you wash them though =].

Oh yeah and when you move agin they will be with you for a long time carrying your books.

I still use like 7 or 8 in my room. As clothing/book storage.

I work at a grocery store. I can get my hands on some crates if I need them. :smile:

I didn't see this mentioned yet, so I'll mention it. Buy a can opener. For some reason, when I first got my own apartment, I sort of assumed they just "came with the place". I'd never witnessed anyone ever actually purchasing one of those. But after I'd finished my first major grocery shopping trip and decided to open a can of soup for lunch, I noticed a bit of a problem.