Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving out.

1. Oct 13, 2004 #1

jimmy p

Gold Member

I plan to move out of the house and get my own place in January (if not sooner) and I was just wondering what you guys think I should be looking out for in a place, so I dont get bowled over by salesmans speak and lingo. Bear in mind that I will probably be looking out for a one bedroomed place, cos I have no-one else to move in with...

Thanks for any input.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2004 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Get an apartment above large, lazy people who will crank the heat in the winter.

4. Oct 14, 2004 #3
    get a bachlor apartmen, its cheaper

5. Oct 14, 2004 #4
    Once you get settled in after you move in, Jimmy, are we all invited?

6. Oct 14, 2004 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's probably the best advice I've ever heard for choosing an apartment. :rofl:

I used to keep my heat turned really low and rely on the person below me to have to heat both of our apartments :biggrin:

Since I don't know anything about getting an apt in Britain, the only things I can suggest would be to check the neighborhood at night, make sure it isn't noisier or less safe than you expect, look around for any signs of ant traps or other bug infestations, take a look at the windows and make sure they close tightly (old buildings often have drafty windows that will make you miserable in winter).

7. Oct 15, 2004 #6

jimmy p

Gold Member

Yeah, party round my hovel guys and gals... when I move in of course.

I am thinking of a bachelor pad cos I couldnt afford a house. Maybe I should become a millionaire first.

8. Oct 15, 2004 #7

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Read the lease carefully before signing. Everything you need to know should be there without the salesman speak & lingo.

Like Moonbear said, check out the neighborhood, try out the plumbing when you look at the place, look for signs of pests (ants, roaches), etc.

If you get the chance, ask the previous tenants what they think of the place & the landlord.

Judge the landlord's character...is he/she someone you trust dealing with financially every month & will they be quick to fix any problems?

Visit at least 3 places before deciding.

9. Oct 15, 2004 #8
    1/ You are doing the right thing by asking around as you never know which friend of a friend is dying to move someone into their nice flat, and would much rather do it through the grapevine than the ripoff estate agent or internet.

2/ Get the 'earlybird alerts' from Loot online. It costs a few quid a week but you get emailed whenever a flat suiting your specs comes up - very important as bargains get snapped up quickly.

3/ Don't worry too much about contracts and legalese - anything illegal a landlord puts in e.g. one weeks eviction notice, is legally unenforcable. Ask your local Citizens Advice about standard contracts.

4/ Check the area out to make sure you feel comfortable there. Places are not the same at different times of the day/week.

5/ Always go for a ground-floor flat - this way you can tunnel out if the going gets tough.

6/ Never tell a potential landlord about the tunnel plan - it will arouse suspicion prematurely.

10. Oct 15, 2004 #9
    I'll hold you to that, Jimmy.

11. Oct 19, 2004 #10
    For you? I'd suggest taking the first place that will take you. You can't afford to be picky when you will probably be lowering the property value.

12. Oct 19, 2004 #11

jimmy p

Gold Member

Good advice tribdog :rofl: would be nice to give SOMETHING back to the community, and if it is lowering property value, so be it!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  13. Oct 19, 2004 #12
    Howbout one of those student complexes if you have it where you live? I'm moving to one of those myself these days.

14. Oct 19, 2004 #13
    Just stay at home like me. If any girl gives you a disgusting look, just tell her the economic reasoning behind it.

15. Oct 22, 2004 #14

jimmy p

Gold Member

Lol, and you wonder why you are single... like me :(

16. Oct 22, 2004 #15
    lol. remember when the definition of nerd was someone who lived in his mom's basement and liked physics and was always on the computer. times sure have changed.

17. Oct 22, 2004 #16
    I do wonder. :shy:

18. Oct 22, 2004 #17
    I do wonders.

19. Oct 24, 2004 #18
    want a new roomie JP?

20. Oct 24, 2004 #19
    Dang it! You beat me to it.

21. Oct 25, 2004 #20

jimmy p

Gold Member

I'll take both of you!! share the rent. We could have a good laugh!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?