1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving particle decay

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1
    Hello everybody, I'm assigned to do particle physics home, which I don't really understant because I'm a freshman and I have choosen it as a free subject. Obviously, that was a mistake. I have been reading a book, but I'm not sure if I understand everything.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of rest mass M, travelling at speed v in the x-direction, decays into two photons, moving in the positive and negative x-direction relative to the original particle. What are their energies? What are the photon energies and directions if the photons are emitted in the positive and negative y-direction relative to the original particle (i.e., perpendicular to the direction of motion, in the particles rest frame).

2. Relevant equations
    I previously solved an equation for particle decay products energies when parent particle is ant rest. These are E1=(M^2+m1^2-m2^2)/2M, and analogicaly for E2, just -m1 squered and +m2 squered.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm considering photon which is moving in the positive x-direction to have less energy than the other one. Maybe I should use relatyvistic velocity addition to find these energies?

There is another problem related to the previous one.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a massive particle decays into photons, explain using 4-momenta why it cannot decay into a single photon, but must decay into two or more. Does your explanation still hold if the particle is moving at high speed when it decays?

The four-momentum:
    93991a68ce57b57c2039cc4e7c9649cb.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    As far as I understand no particle can decay into another particle without nothing else. But that's not an explanation.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2012 #2
    I get it now. Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook