1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving People

1. Dec 27, 2004 #1
    Without the use of motors? How could someone move a 70 kg person for around 50 meter circumference circles?

Any ideas on how you could solve the problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2004 #2

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some method:

Attach the person to an spring of a large stiffness constant, compress it and leave them free. Have you ever seen it at the cartoons? Probably when you see his face it will be like this---> :yuck:

4. Dec 27, 2004 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They could ride a horse, or a bike, or they could walk. I guess they could go by scooter. Or space-hopper.

I guess this doesn't answer your question, so let us know what you want to do!

5. Dec 27, 2004 #4
    Basically create some vehicle without using motors and having a 70 kg person in it how could you move the person?

I was thinking about springs and inclined planes, but those are probably too extravagant.

6. Dec 27, 2004 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Some ideas

Is the movement on land, in water, or in the air?

On land, use a 50 m rope and roller skates, bicycle, or cart, i.e. something with wheels. The bicycle can be used to provide propulsion by the person through a crank and gear system, and this could be applied to a cart. The rope simply provides a constraint to move in a circle, with one end fixed at the axis.

In water, use a boat - with paddles, oars, or crank and paddle-wheel or .

In air, use a large kite, unless one can design a human power propeller system.

Also on land, one could use a kite or sail for propulsion, but one must have wind.

Use your imagination.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?