Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving People

1. Dec 27, 2004 #1
    Without the use of motors? How could someone move a 70 kg person for around 50 meter circumference circles?

Any ideas on how you could solve the problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some method:

Attach the person to an spring of a large stiffness constant, compress it and leave them free. Have you ever seen it at the cartoons? Probably when you see his face it will be like this---> :yuck:
  4. Dec 27, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They could ride a horse, or a bike, or they could walk. I guess they could go by scooter. Or space-hopper.

I guess this doesn't answer your question, so let us know what you want to do!
  5. Dec 27, 2004 #4
    Basically create some vehicle without using motors and having a 70 kg person in it how could you move the person?

I was thinking about springs and inclined planes, but those are probably too extravagant.
  6. Dec 27, 2004 #5

Staff: Mentor

Some ideas

Is the movement on land, in water, or in the air?

On land, use a 50 m rope and roller skates, bicycle, or cart, i.e. something with wheels. The bicycle can be used to provide propulsion by the person through a crank and gear system, and this could be applied to a cart. The rope simply provides a constraint to move in a circle, with one end fixed at the axis.

In water, use a boat - with paddles, oars, or crank and paddle-wheel or .

In air, use a large kite, unless one can design a human power propeller system.

Also on land, one could use a kite or sail for propulsion, but one must have wind.

Use your imagination.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?