Moving Posts: What to Do if Needed

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, the "Report Post" option is primarily used for reporting spam, advertising messages, and problematic posts such as harassment, fighting, or rudeness. However, you can still use it to report any other issues, but it may not necessarily result in the action you want. This is because the website is run by volunteers who may overlook reports due to being poorly organized. It is recommended to keep this in mind and not rely solely on the "Report Post" option. Additionally, the all-capital "ONLY" in the notice is likely a generic message used by all vBulletin systems.
ehrenfest
Apparently the "Report Post" option "is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts."

What do I do if I find a post that needs to be moved to a different forum?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can report anything you like. We won't necessarily take the action you wish us to take, though. If we just overlooked your report, which is possible, please just remember that we're a poorly-organized mass of volunteers, and we make mistakes.

- Warren

chroot said:
we're a poorly-organized mass of volunteers, and we make mistakes.
:rofl: Talk about blowing our cover. :biggrin:

ehrenfest said:
Apparently the "Report Post" option "is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts."

What do I do if I find a post that needs to be moved to a different forum?

You can still use the Report Post button. That's not a problem.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You can still use the Report Post button. That's not a problem.

Zz.

So, maybe you should change the all-capital "ONLY" to lower case or remove it completely.

ehrenfest said:
So, maybe you should change the all-capital "ONLY" to lower case or remove it completely.
I believe it's a generic notice displayed by all vBulletin systems.

Evo said:
:rofl: Talk about blowing our cover. :biggrin:

Hey, I'm highly organized, but the laws of thermodynamics then require all the rest of the staff be much more disorganized to compensate.

Now where did I put that thingamabob?

1. What is the purpose of moving posts?

The purpose of moving posts is to keep the content on a website organized and easily accessible for users. This can include moving posts to different categories, changing the order of posts, or moving posts to a different section of the website.

2. How do I know if a post needs to be moved?

Posts may need to be moved if they are in the wrong category, are outdated, or are not relevant to the current content on the website. Additionally, if a post is receiving a lot of traffic or engagement, it may be beneficial to move it to a more prominent location on the website.

3. How do I decide where to move a post?

The decision of where to move a post will depend on the purpose of the move. If it is to organize content, the post can be moved to a more appropriate category. If it is to increase visibility, the post can be moved to a more prominent location on the website. It is important to consider the target audience and the overall goal of the post when deciding where to move it.

4. Will moving a post affect its SEO?

Moving a post should not significantly affect its SEO, as long as the URL remains the same. However, if the post is moved to a different category or section of the website, it is important to update any internal links to the post to avoid broken links.

5. Can I undo a post move?

In most cases, a post move can be undone by simply moving the post back to its original location. However, if the post has been significantly edited or updated since the move, it may not be able to be moved back to its original location. It is always recommended to carefully consider the decision to move a post before doing so.