Diagram & Calculations for Pulley System with Masses 8kg, 2kg, and 4kg

• Thread starter mcintyre_ie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a system of pulleys and strings. The objective is to find the forces acting on each pulley and the acceleration of each component in the system. The correct answers for the acceleration of pulleys A and C and the particles are g/11, 2g/11, and g/11 and 5g/11 respectively. The person seeking help is unsure about the correctness of their calculations and is asking for confirmation and clarification.
mcintyre_ie
I’d appreciate some help with the following question:

The diagram shows a light inextensible string
having one end fixed at O , passing under
a movable pulley A of mass 8 kg and
then over a fixed light pulley B.
The other end of the string is attached to
a light pulley C, of negligible mass.
Over pulley C , a second light inextensible
string is passed having particles of mass 2 and
4 kg respectively, attached. All pulleys are smooth.
(i) Show in a diagram the forces acting on each pulley when the system is released from rest.
(ii) Find the acceleration of
pulley A
pulley C
each particle.

Heres a link to the work I've done so far which i think i have correct (Ive spent about an hour working on my equations, but theyre not making much sense).

Work So Far

The correct answers are:
(ii)
Pulley A - g/11
Pulley C - 2g/11
Particles - g/11 and 5g/11

Im unsure if my accelerations are correct - would i be right in saying that for every 1m Pulley A falls, pulley C rises two metres, along with both particles? So that would mean pulley C has twice the acceleration of Pulley A? And both particles move with the acceleration f +/- 2a?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by mcintyre_ie
Im unsure if my accelerations are correct - would i be right in saying that for every 1m Pulley A falls, pulley C rises two metres, along with both particles? So that would mean pulley C has twice the acceleration of Pulley A? And both particles move with the acceleration f +/- 2a?
Almost, but not exactly. Yes, pulley C has twice the acceleration of pulley A (in magnitude). If you call the acceleration of pulley A "a" (down), then the acceleration of pulley C is "2a" (up). When you write out your equations, be sure to use a consistent sign convention. For example, the way I would look at it, your first equation should read 2S - 8g = -8a (since you've chosen up as positive).

Also, if "f" is the magnitude of the acceleration of the particles with respect to pulley C, then the full acceleration of the particles would be: 2a +/- f. Once again, use a consistent sign convention when writing the equations.

Thanks for your reply, I am constantly mixing up signs. Thanks again for your help.

1. What is a moving pulley?

A moving pulley is a type of pulley system that consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or cable wrapped around it. It is used to lift or move objects by applying force to the rope, which causes the wheel to rotate and lift the load.

2. How does a moving pulley work?

A moving pulley works by using the principle of mechanical advantage. By applying force to one end of the rope, the load on the other end is lifted or moved. The number of ropes and pulleys in the system determines the mechanical advantage, which makes it easier to lift heavier objects with less force.

3. What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a moving pulley?

A fixed pulley is stationary and attached to a support, while a moving pulley is attached to the load being lifted or moved. In a fixed pulley system, the direction of force remains the same, while in a moving pulley system, the direction of force changes as the load is lifted.

4. What are the advantages of using a moving pulley?

The main advantage of using a moving pulley is that it reduces the amount of force required to lift or move a load. It also allows for the direction of force to be changed, which can be useful in certain situations. Additionally, moving pulleys can be combined with other pulley systems to create even greater mechanical advantage.

5. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a moving pulley system?

To calculate the mechanical advantage of a moving pulley system, you need to count the number of ropes supporting the load and the number of ropes attached to the effort force. The mechanical advantage is then equal to the number of supporting ropes divided by the number of effort ropes. For example, if a load is supported by 2 ropes and the effort force is applied to 1 rope, the mechanical advantage is 2.