1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving Reference Frames

1. Sep 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a head-on, elastic collision between two bodies whose masses are m and M, with m << M. It is well known that if m has speed v0 and M is initially at rest, m will bounce straight back with its speed unchanged, while M will remain at rest (to an excellent approximation). Use this fact to predict the final velocities if M approaches with speed v0 and m is initially at rest.

2. Relevant equations
    u = u' + v (the classical velocity addition formula)
    Newton's Second Law: F = ma & F' = m'*a' (The two laws for the two fixed reference frames S and S')

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically, the way I would solve this problem is think that m and M are both masses. Since u = u' + v and u' = u - v, using Newton's First Law, small m is isolated from all outside forces so then the velocity u is constant relative to the lab. Then the velocity of M is going to be v0.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

But what's the final velocity of the small mass?

Hint: View things from a frame in which M is at rest, then you can apply the given fact. Once you solve the collision in that frame, transform your answer back to the original frame.

4. Sep 1, 2007 #3
    Moving Reference Frame

I don't understand the Hint that you gave me. Can you give an example.

5. Sep 1, 2007 #4

Doc Al

The principle of (galilean) relativity says that we can view things from any inertial frame we want. So pick a frame in which we know the answer. In the original frame of reference, m is at rest while M moves with velocity v0. Instead, view things from a frame in which M is at rest. In that frame, what is the initial velocity of m? The final velocity of m?

6. Sep 1, 2007 #5
    I think the initial velocity of m is going to be v0 when M is the fixed reference frame. The final velocity will be unchanged when m is bounced straight back without changing the velocity so I would think that the final velocity is constant.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  7. Sep 1, 2007 #6

Doc Al

OK. Let's say that initially m was at rest (in the original frame) and M was moving at speed v0 to the right. Transforming to a moving frame in which M is at rest (just add -v0 to all velocities) gives m a velocity of -v0. In other words: m moves to the left with speed v0.
    m does not come to a halt after colliding elastically with M: it bounces straight back with the same speed.

Remember, you are told this:

You are expected to use that fact.

8. Sep 1, 2007 #7

Doc Al

The speed is unchanged (in the moving frame), but the velocity is not constant. Using what I said in the last post, what are the initial and final velocities of m in the moving frame?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?