The Magnitude of Induced EMF in a Moving Rod?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the induced EMF in a moving metal rod in a uniform magnetic field. The first step is to correctly identify the formula for EMF, which is VxBxL. The next step is to take the scalar product of the velocity and magnetic field vectors, resulting in a vector with components of 0.612j and -1.496k. The length of the rod is then split into components and the scalar product is taken again, resulting in a magnitude of 0.297 V/m. The final step is to note that the ## \hat k ## component vanishes, leaving a final result of 0.297 V/m. The conversation also addresses confusion regarding the use of the
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
A 25.0 cm long metal rod lies in the xy-plane and makes an angle of 36.9 with the positive x-axis and an angle of 53.1 with the positive y-axis. the rod is moving in the +x-direction with a speed of 6.80 m/s. the rod is in a uniform magnetic field B= (0.120T)i-(0.220T)j-(0.0900T)k .
What is the magnitude of the emf induced in the rod? indicate in sketch which end of the rod is at higher potential.
Relevant Equations
induced emf
Homework Statement: A 25.0 cm long metal rod lies in the xy-plane and makes an angle of 36.9 with the positive x-axis and an angle of 53.1 with the positive y-axis. the rod is moving in the +x-direction with a speed of 6.80 m/s. the rod is in a uniform magnetic field B= (0.120T)i-(0.220T)j-(0.0900T)k .
What is the magnitude of the emf induced in the rod? indicate in sketch which end of the rod is at higher potential.
Homework Equations: induced emf

emf =VxBxL
i have done first
vxB= (6.8 m/s i) x( (0.120T)i-(0.220T)j-(0.0900T)k)= (0.612j -1.496k)
next i split in components the length
0,25(cos 36.9 + sin 36.9)= 0.199 i+0.15j
then
(VxB)x(0.199 i+0.15j)=(0.612j -1.496k)x(0.199 i+0.15j)= (0.224i-0.297j-0.121k)

now getting the magnitude of this i don't get the right result. Can anyone explain to me why?

Physics news on Phys.org
DottZakapa said:
emf =VxBxL
Don't take the cross-product with L. Take the scalar product of ##\vec{v}\times \vec{B}## with ##\vec{L}##. (Note that EMF is a scalar.)

Doc Al said:
Don't take the cross-product with L. Take the scalar product of ##\vec{v}\times \vec{B}## with ##\vec{L}##. (Note that EMF is a scalar.)

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 19.18.21.png

this is how it should be solved, but i don't get why is so :oldconfused:

Is there a step you're not getting? The first step (labeled "Identify" in the given solution) is key and it's just what I had stated earlier. That's what you were doing wrong.

What textbook are you using?

Doc Al said:
What textbook are you using?

is a previous years exam solution
Doc Al said:
Is there a step you're not getting? .

what i am not getting is from this point on, the second passage doesn't match the first
Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 20.31.14.png

Sorry, but I'm not seeing which passages don't match.

Doc Al said:
Sorry, but I'm not seeing which passages don't match.
it starts with this
Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 22.09.12.png

then it splits ##\vec L## which is the length of the rod in vector components as follows
Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 22.09.31.png

you said to not take the scalar product with ##\vec L##, so why is the length in vector components?how do you get this result below? this is what i am not getting. Where is (-1.496 ##\frac V m ##) ## \hat k ## gone?
Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 22.09.42.png

what is that sin(36.9) doing there?

DottZakapa said:
you said to not take the scalar product with ##\vec L##, so why is the length in vector components?
No, I said not to take the cross product with ##\vec L##. (Which is what you were doing in your first post.) But do take the scalar product!
DottZakapa said:
how do you get this result below? this is what i am not getting. Where is (-1.496 ##\frac V m ##) ## \hat k ## gone?
Since ##\vec L## has no ## \hat k ## component, that term vanishes after taking the scalar product.
DottZakapa said:
what is that sin(36.9) doing there?
That's from taking the ## \hat j ## component of ##\vec L##. Note that only the ## \hat j ## components survive the scalar product.

• Wow
Likes DottZakapa
Doc Al said:
No, I said not to take the cross product with ##\vec L##. (Which is what you were doing in your first post.) But do take the scalar product!

Since ##\vec L## has no ## \hat k ## component, that term vanishes after taking the scalar product.

That's from taking the ## \hat j ## component of ##\vec L##. Note that only the ## \hat j ## components survive the scalar product.
Damn now I understood where my problem is.
I had completely forgot how a scalar product works with vectors components.
I've just recalled this i⋅j=i⋅k=j⋅k=0 and i⋅i=j⋅j=k⋅k=1
😓
Now is all bright n clear.
Sorry man, thanks for your time and patient. very gentle.

1. What is a moving rod and how does it relate to induced EMF?

A moving rod is a conductive material that is moving through a magnetic field. This motion creates a change in the magnetic flux, which in turn induces an electromotive force (EMF) in the rod.

2. How is the direction of induced EMF determined in a moving rod?

The direction of induced EMF in a moving rod is determined by the right-hand rule. If the movement of the rod is perpendicular to the magnetic field, the induced current will be in a direction that is perpendicular to both the direction of movement and the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced EMF in a moving rod?

The magnitude of induced EMF in a moving rod is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the rod, and the length of the rod. A stronger magnetic field, faster rod velocity, and longer rod length will result in a higher induced EMF.

4. Can a moving rod produce a continuous current?

Yes, a moving rod can produce a continuous current if it is part of a closed circuit. As long as the rod keeps moving through the magnetic field, the induced EMF will continue to create a current in the circuit.

5. How is a moving rod used in practical applications?

A moving rod is commonly used in generators, where the motion of the rod through a magnetic field produces electricity. It is also used in induction cooktops, where the movement of a pan on the stovetop creates heat through induced currents in the pan. Additionally, moving rods can be used in scientific experiments to study the principles of electromagnetism.