Does moving through spacetime affect our perception of time and mass?

• Thread starter Paul77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spacetime
In summary, Brian Greene claimed that everything moves through spacetime at speed c. This has nothing to do with curvature.
Paul77
I've been informed that when you move through spacetime:

If you move through time with the same space-time curvature, your effective "speed" through time is c.

Does anyone have a link that explains this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Paul77 said:
I've been informed that when you move spacetime:
What do you mean by "move spacetime?"

Paul77 said:
If you move through time with the same space-time curvature, your effective "speed" through time is c.

Does anyone have a link that explains this?

No, because it's not true.

I meant "move through spacetime".

I think its true because its a quote from one of the main PF contributors.

Brian Greene claimed that everything moves through spacetime at speed c in "The elegant universe".

For those of you who know SR already: It only means that any velocity four-vector u satisfies [tex]\sqrt{-u^T\eta u}=1[/tex]. (The minus sign is needed if our convention for the metric is -+++). Since this is just the normalization convention for four-velocities, it's true by definition. It's like saying that bald guys have no hair, and making it sound like an insight of deep significance.

I posted some comments here. (Post #18. The Greene quote is in #15).

This has nothing to do with curvature.

Paul77...if you keep Greene's "simple" explanation in mind on one hand and the fact that such analogies have their limitations on the other, you have the best of both worlds. An introduction on one hand but some subtlies on the other.

I think it's in Greene's book that there is a nice diagram...(or is it Smolin??)..anyway, two space and one time axis. An object of constant velocity moves in a straightline, an accelerating object in a curve, and a object in uniform rotational motion about a fixed point plots as a corkscrew. As soon as I saw that I had a simple "analogy" for reference; on the other hand, the diagrams of a "slice of bread" describing slices of time, relativity of simultaneity, did NOT hit a cord with me...

Part of the issue is, I think, that fact since v = c is impossible as far as we know, there is no reference frame for such motion...but that doesn't mean you can't think about the fact that as something gets arbitrarily close to v = c, it's time becomes arbitrarily slow [in its own frame] and any mass becomes arbitarily large...Thought experiments, especially of simplified situations or ones at limits can offer useful insights even if not entirely practical.

Naty1 said:
art of the issue is, I think, that fact since v = c is impossible as far as we know, there is no reference frame for such motion...but that doesn't mean you can't think about the fact that as something gets arbitrarily close to v = c, it's time becomes arbitrarily slow [in its own frame] and any mass becomes arbitarily large...Thought experiments, especially of simplified situations or ones at limits can offer useful insights even if not entirely practical.
Yes, that is a fine thought experiment. Notice that it does not toss aside known laws of physics.

I should clarify - it's not that you can't ignore laws of physics - nothing wrong with slicing a star in half and seeing what's inside - it's that the laws you ignore can't also be the ones you are intersted in examining. Such is the disappearing planet proposal.

[EDIT] Oops. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=409534". :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is spacetime?

Spacetime is a concept in physics that combines the three dimensions of space and the one dimension of time into a single four-dimensional continuum.

2. How does an object move through spacetime?

An object's motion through spacetime is described by its trajectory, which is the path it takes through both space and time. This trajectory can be represented using mathematical equations, such as the spacetime interval, which takes into account both the distance traveled in space and the time elapsed.

3. How does gravity affect the movement through spacetime?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force but rather a curvature in spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects. This curvature affects the trajectory of objects, causing them to move along the curved path created by the gravitational pull of the massive object.

4. Can objects move backward in time through spacetime?

No, according to the laws of physics, objects can only move forward in time. While some theories suggest the possibility of time travel, it is currently not possible for an object to move backward in time through spacetime.

5. How does the speed of light affect movement through spacetime?

The speed of light, which is a constant in the universe, plays a crucial role in determining the movement of objects through spacetime. According to Einstein's theory of special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel through space and time. Therefore, an object's speed through spacetime cannot exceed the speed of light.