Moving to Didcot / Oxford for work in Harwell (UK)

• Thread starter Keep_i_real
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uk Work
In summary: Your Name]In summary, a group of space engineers, including the speaker, are moving to Oxford/Didcot to start working at Harwell. They are wondering if there are specific areas where physicists and engineers tend to live and if there are any areas to avoid. The speaker suggests looking into neighborhoods near the University of Oxford and the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus for potential clusters of scientists and engineers. They also recommend researching crime rates and seeking personal recommendations for safe areas. Lastly, the speaker recommends taking advantage of the opportunities for collaboration and development at the nearby Diamond Light Source, European Space Agency, and the University of Oxford.
Keep_i_real
Myself and several other space engineers (+partners) are soon moving to Oxford / Didcot, as we're starting work in Harwell.

With Diamond, ESA and the university being nearby, I'm wondering if there are particular areas where physicists / engineers tend to cluster? Are there any specific areas which should be avoided? Do any of you in the area have recommendations?

Thanks,
Mark

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Mark,

Congratulations on your upcoming move to Oxford/Didcot and your new job at Harwell. I'm sure you and your fellow space engineers will find plenty of opportunities for collaboration and growth in such a vibrant scientific community.

As for areas where physicists and engineers tend to cluster, I would recommend looking into neighborhoods near the University of Oxford, as it is a hub for both academic research and industry collaboration. Additionally, the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus itself may also be a great place to connect with other scientists and engineers in your field.

In terms of areas to avoid, I would suggest doing some research on crime rates and general safety in the surrounding neighborhoods. The Oxford City Council website has a helpful interactive map that allows you to view crime statistics by area. It may also be beneficial to speak with colleagues or locals for their personal recommendations.

As for recommendations, I would highly recommend exploring the city of Oxford itself. It is a beautiful and historic city with plenty of cultural and recreational activities to enjoy. Also, make sure to take advantage of the nearby Diamond Light Source, European Space Agency, and the University of Oxford for networking and professional development opportunities.

Best of luck with your move and new job!

1. What is the cost of living in Didcot/Oxford?

The cost of living in Didcot and Oxford can vary depending on your lifestyle and preferences. In general, Oxford is more expensive than Didcot. Rent prices in Oxford can range from £800-£1500 per month for a one bedroom apartment. Didcot, on the other hand, has more affordable rent prices ranging from £600-£800 per month for a one bedroom apartment. Other living expenses such as groceries, utilities, and transportation are also slightly higher in Oxford compared to Didcot.

2. How long is the commute from Didcot/Oxford to Harwell?

The commute from Didcot to Harwell is approximately 20 minutes by car and 25-30 minutes by public transportation. From Oxford, the commute to Harwell is slightly longer, taking about 30-35 minutes by car and 35-40 minutes by public transportation. However, traffic and public transportation schedules may vary, so it is best to plan accordingly.

3. Is there public transportation available from Didcot/Oxford to Harwell?

Yes, there are various public transportation options available from Didcot and Oxford to Harwell. There are regular bus services and train services that can take you directly to Harwell. Additionally, there are also car-sharing and ride-sharing options available for those who prefer to carpool.

4. What is the job market like in Harwell?

Harwell is a growing science and technology hub, with many job opportunities in various fields such as research, engineering, and technology. Many national and international companies have offices in Harwell, making it a popular destination for job seekers in these industries. However, it is always recommended to do thorough research and apply for jobs before moving to Harwell.

5. Are there any good schools in the Didcot/Oxford area?

Yes, there are several good schools in the Didcot and Oxford area. In Didcot, there are several primary and secondary schools, including the Didcot Girls' School and St. Birinus School. In Oxford, there are also several highly-rated schools, such as the Cherwell School and Headington School. Additionally, Oxford is also home to the prestigious University of Oxford, which offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs.